Cray escaped

Reza

Sorry to hear it....mesh tops are good for cray tanks, but its really hard to cover all the possibilities.

What a great idea Toirtis, I'm going to cut down some of my egg crate and put it between the plastic lid and the top of the 10 gallon. My next little sucker will have to lift the weight of the tank to get out.

Thanks for the warm thoughts all.

So, anyone know a good source for electric blues crays in Edmonton right now????

I lost my crayfish last week at the office, just try looking for him in 20 offices and warehouse over 100,000 square feet. There has been speculation that the cleaning crew took him home and ate him, or just threw him out when they found him on the floor, I personally doubt this because there are all kinds of things on the floor that they never manage to pick up. Canadbis and I ransacked all nearby offices, no luck. Anyway I had to tell 80 plus staff to be on the look-out or smell-out by now, for Mr Pinchey. I also got 2 ransom notes and lots of condolences. :( WHY MR. PINCHEY ???? WHY? :(

Elvira made a run for it a couple weeks ago... I woke up about 9ish, and the cat was absolutely fascinated with something under the couch... she loses all her toys under there so I figured no big deal... dig it out later. My cray tank is a 20 gallon with lid sitting next to the couch and it's set up with a whole bunch of drift wood that makes a bunch of caves, it's not unusual to go a day or so without seeing her.

After a couple hours (and while two TELUS techs were over fixing my internet connection) I finally got tired of this damn cat digging under the couch so I lifted it up to see what's going on... there was Elvira making a dash for it and dragging a dust bunny the size of an adult oscar behind her.

Imagine the TELUS tech's faces when I drag over the coffee table to prop up the couch and go scampering under there... coming out with a blue cray in my hand! They both nearly fell out of their socks and I plopped her back in the water, safe and sound (albeit with a veritable explosion of dust/fur and assorted other 'under couch' oddities into the water, as well.)

Cranked the filter up on high and a media cleaning later that day, and she's fine and dandy... tried to get out a couple times since, but I fixed the hole at the back of the lid and no such success.

I know she was out of the tank for at least 2 hours, and there is nothing for humidity under our couch... although the laminate flooring probably helped as I think carpet would wick away moisture from their gills faster? Maybe?

I've always wondered why so many people keeping "escape artist" inhabitants, such as crays and many of the fish species, seem to keep their water so high in the tank that it is only a minor trek / leap to get out?

I know it isn't as pretty, or quiet, but I tend to keep 2 to 4 inches of air between my water and my lids, on almost all of my tanks and it has pretty much eliminated any escapes except during feeding time...

I once had an eel come about 18" out of the water with a chunk of an earthworm, right in front of my face. Almost fainted, I did :D Got the lid back on in a right hurry! Another time, a big Aulonacara went out the top, over my shoulder, and smack into the floor about 5 feet away. Took her about 30 minutes to start swimming normally again, poor thing.

David

Every time that I need to move my tank, or upgrade it the jardini arowana tries to jump, he jumped out of a bucket once. The silver, (the one I sold to medicdude) would frequently attempt jumps when I was cleaning the tank. On one occasion the guy jumped 3 feet in the air out of the tank, hit the wall and landed on the carpet. As soon as it was out of the water it would wait patiently for me to put it back in. It would just freeze on the ground. Happened a few times

Edited by Reza

I've always wondered why so many people keeping "escape artist" inhabitants, such as crays and many of the fish species, seem to keep their water so high in the tank that it is only a minor trek / leap to get out?

You know, when my cray escaped it was quite a feat. He shot water up out of the tank which shorted out the alarm system, which brought down the force field, and of course the electric fence. After that it was a simple matter for him to pick 3 padlocks, and then lift the custom made lead canopy. He then rappelled 3 and a half feet to the floor, climbed up my computer speaker cable and hacked into my computer to defeat the building motion sensors, and of course, made good his escape. :ph43r: :ph43r:

Edited by HOSStile

You know, when my cray escaped it was quite a feat. He shot water up out of the tank which shorted out the alarm system, which brought down the force field, and of course the electric fence. After that it was a simple matter for him to pick 3 padlocks, and then lift the custom made lead canopy. He then rappelled 3 and a half feet to the floor, climbed up my computer speaker cable and hacked into my computer to defeat the building motion sensors, and of course, made good his escape. :ph43r: :ph43r:

OMG... got caught reading this at work, I was laughing so hard!!!

-roll- -roll- -roll- -roll- -roll- -roll-

Awwwwww so sorry to hear about the little escapee not making it.

Try Paradise Pets in St. Albert because I know that they had some in, but I am not sure now.

Darn fish not staying where we put them ! :wacko:;)

Awwwwww so sorry to hear about the little escapee not making it.

Try Paradise Pets in St. Albert because I know that they had some in, but I am not sure now.

Darn fish not staying where we put them ! :wacko:;)

Thanks for the heads up Earthgirl