FINALLY!!!

DCallele

After 2 years of nursing, feeding, providing dithers to beat on, etc., my Paratilapia Polleni Large Spot have finally spawned! I'm bouncing around here like a new father, sheesh! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Here is Dad. He is about 6" from top to bottom.

PICT0007a.jpg

Dad above, mom below, eggs, well, follow the arrow... by the way, those are 4" pipes for scale.

PICT0003b.jpg

Eggs from one side

PICT0001a.jpg

and a different part of the mass, from the other side

PICT0012a.jpg

He'd already beat most of the others up pretty badly - ever see a 6" Nimbochromis Polystigma cower before? So, I've put up a mesh wall and now to keep my fingers crossed for the next few days. If they don't eat the eggs in the first 48 hours, the fry will start to hatch and I will be dancing in the streets of Saskatoon!

Now, to worry...

David

Edited by Froggie

Just an update:

At about 24 hours, as predicted by the few people who have spawned this species in an indoor aquaria, the mother started to eat her eggs. Since I was being paranoid and checking every half hour, I caught her at it.

So, I removed the remaining eggs into another tank where I have a tub within the tank with gentle aeration, one egg tumbler with gentle aeration, and one egg tumbler with slightly stronger aeration.

The apparent hatching rate on the tumblers is significantly higher than in the tub, with a slight bias toward more success with stronger aeration. However, the aeration rates are much, much lower than with mouth brooding cichlids.

I've been changing 1/3 of the water every 4 hours (including all night... thank heavens for alarm clocks) and maintaining a malachite greeen / formalin treatment to protect against fungus.

It is now somewhere around 36 hours since the spawn and the eggs are starting to show tails.

I've been taking pictures every few hours and once things are settled down I will get Froggie to put together a proper web page.

12 to 24 hours to go...

David

Edited by DCallele

Thanks! At the moment, I appear to have between 50 and 100 wigglers like this one. Took it out for a closeup then returned it to the tub.

PICT0025.JPG

Still changing 33% of the water every 2 to 4 hours but things are looking pretty good so far :D

David

Congrats David!

Now I think we need to have a discussion about resizing your pictures prior to posting them on the web!

PS: Who gets fry and who gets the parents next?

Thanks Sean. Sorry about the pic size... too much excitement can make one careless.

I've been changing 1/3 of the water every 4 hours (including all night... thank heavens for alarm clocks) and maintaining a malachite greeen / formalin treatment to protect against fungus.
:bow:

You are a much better poppa than I would ever be!!! - Nice fish, can't wait to see how the offspring turn out..... :thumbs:

:bow:

You are a much better poppa than I would ever be!!! - Nice fish, can't wait to see how the offspring turn out..... :thumbs:

Thanks - I'm getting pretty tired though!

Here are a few smaller update pics:

Tub.jpg

and

April_17.jpg