Fry Tank

Yasper

I don't know if this should be posted here, or in the buy/sell section.

But anyway, there's a new Petland in S.E. Calgary. It's just off 130th Ave and Deerfoot in where the Co-op and Superstore and all that is (S.E. of intersection). One of the opening specials is 10 gal tanks for $10.00. They appear to be pretty cheaply constructed, but hey, what do you want for 10 bucks? They had quite a stack of them if anyone in the Calgary area is looking for a cheap 10gal.

I picked one up just in case one of our fish start holding again. It has happened a couple times, but so far they've never brought them to term.

Which brings me to my other question. The fish that was holding is an albino peacock. From what I've read, the albino thing is a recessive gene and the albinos are, in fact, hybrids. So, I'm just wondering if the fry will be albino, or if we're gonna end up with a tank of Mystery Fish?

The fry will only be albino if both parents carry the albino gene. If you have an albino pair then you can expect about all of them to be albino, if you have an albino and a dominant colour that carries the albino gene invisibly, you'll get about 50% albinos and if you have two dominant colour fish both carrying the albino gene hidden you will get 25% albinos.

If you other fish in this pair is not an albino and does not carry the albino genes, then none of the fry will be visibly albino but they will all carry the gene, so breeding them together would get you albinos.

And thats my understanding of mendelian genetics