Here are my favourites

johnsmith

• 3 weeks later...

The first fish I've added are four yellow labs, because my friend gave them to me for free. They're really good looking labs. They look like "Lion's Cove II", according to cichlid-forum.com.

I'm planning on adding something else in the next couple of weeks. They seem pretty skittish right now, so I wasn't sure if adding other fish would calm them down or make them worse?

I have to admit, I would really like to add a peacock trio into this mix. I was hoping if the peacocks I add are larger than the yellows it wouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure the person at Gold Aquariums said this would be fine.

Hey C.

Hows it going.

The fish I picked up the other day are doing great.

Just remember that with the 33gal tank you just picked up, you must also consider the size of the adult fish. 6 small fish will grow to 6 large fish in no time. Most of what your looking at will reach about 6", add a pleco and a couple of cats and your tank can get pretty crowded as they reach adult size.

Just keep up on the water changes.

That's true, I was hoping to error on the side of understocking as opposed to overstocking.

According to the tank calculator at fishprofiles.com a tank that is 48"x12"x16" is 40g so that gives me a little more to work with than a 33g.

I was planning on putting a bristlenose pleco in there once the algae starts building up, but I'll stay away from cats to keep the bioload down.

If you really want a trio of peacock , I say try it.

If it doesn't work, you can always take them back and trade them in for something else.

Put in something about the same size or slightly larger then the yellow labs that you have now.

Maybe 4 electric blue II's (Copadichromis azureus )

Let us know how you make out.

UPDATE

I've picked up a copadichromis azureus trio to go with my four yellow labs. Since adding them the yellow labs seem much more comfortable in the tank.

Gold Aquariums has a great looking peacock whose fry will be ready to be sold in a couple of months, which I'm definitely willing to wait for. But... would that be too many fish for a 40g tank?

4 yellow labs

3 (1m/2f) copadichromis azureus

1 bristlenose pleco

+

3 (1m/2f) peacocks