Here are my favourites

johnsmith

Now that I finally have a tank large enough for some interesting fish, thanks to freshmike, I need some stocking advice. The tank is a 45g (~48''x12''x16'').

I was originally thinking of doing a firemouth/swordtail/platy tank but am now leaning toward some peacocks.

I've listed my new choices below.

thanks

It's best to start with what yuou like....

Start here: http://www.malawimayhem.com/profiles.php?filter=AB

and look through and find species that interest you....Then post here and we will do our best to help you make the right choices...this is the part like...doing the research to see what's compatible and what not...

Good Luck and have fun

thanks for that website it should be a good resource.

The problem is there are way too many options & they never say anything about tankmates other than malawis.

I'm thinking of going with some type of schooling fish just to add some variety.

Maybe the best place to start it to see what's availabe in stores around town?

After looking at the cichlid-forum cookie cutters I've chosen my favourites. Now I need to know which ones are available in Calgary, which ones work best together, and how many of each.

1. Aul. stuartgranti "Rubescens" - 1 male

2. Placidochromis electra - trio

or

2. Copadichromis azureus - pair

3. Electric yellows - so there isn't too much blue - how many?

4. Aul. Stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail" - 1 male

So...how does that sound? Will all these fish be fighting for the same caves & are their diets compatible?

Thank you

After looking at the cichlid-forum cookie cutters I've chosen my favourites. Now I need to know which ones are available in Calgary, which ones work best together, and how many of each.

1. Aul. stuartgranti "Rubescens" - 1 male

2. Placidochromis electra - trio

or

2. Copadichromis azureus - pair

3. Electric yellows - so there isn't too much blue - how many?

4. Aul. Stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail" - 1 male

So...how does that sound? Will all these fish be fighting for the same caves & are their diets compatible?

Thank you

Most malawi cichlids do better with a ratio 1m to 2-4 females. Cop. azureus are quite peaceful as far as cichlids go. You may have a hybrid problem since the peacock has no mate and the azureus wouln't put up much of a fight. Also male azureus can reach 7" which is quite large for your tank. I think you should go with 2male and 5 female azureus and 8 yellow labs and maybe a few synos for the bottom. You'ed have quite a nice mix of yellow and blue.

Thanks Dean,

so I could say option 1 is: Cop. azureus with some yellow labs.

How would this work as option 2:

Aul. stuartgranti "Rubescens" - 1 male

Placidochromis electra - trio

Electric yellows - so there isn't too much blue - how many?

Aul. Stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail" - 1 male

Or, do you thinking keeping male peacocks w/o any females for them is a bad choice?

Haps and peacocks are so closely related, its best to let every male have a couple females (if you go add some females only one species of peacock) or go with all males. The males dont go up to other females of a differnt species and ask are you my species, they just get it on. :hey: :hey:

With all haps and peacocks, the males will color better in the presence of females.

Here's what I would do:

- Aul. Stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail" (1 male, 2 females)

- Copadichromis azureus - (1 male, 2 females)

- Placidochromis electra - trio (1 male, 2 females)

If you don't want soo much blue then go with:

- Placidochromis electra - trio (1 male, 2 females

AND ONE of the below:

- Aul. Maleri http://www.malawimayhem.com/profile_show.php?id=5

- Aul. Usisiya http://www.malawimayhem.com/profile_show.php?id=31

Both the above are a yellowish color (more so then the pictures really tell)

Gold Aquariums has all the above list and VERY good quality and prices.

You can also add some bottom dweller like syno. petrecola (group of 3-5) and that should make for a really nice tank.

Hope that helps.

Keep us updated.

Yes, all your comments are definitely helpful.

But... they always lead to more questions.

Will all those fish be fighting for the same caves? I basically have two large rock piles with 3 - 4 available caves. I can rearrange this, but the rocks are so huge there's only so much that can be done with them.

In your second suggestion would the single peacock be going after the other guys' ladies?

How does this sound:

- Aul. Stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail" (1 male, 2 females)

- Yellow labs (5-6) - another option for some yellow.

If you don't want soo much blue then go with:

- Placidochromis electra - trio (1 male, 2 females

AND ONE of the below:

- Aul. Maleri http://www.malawimayhem.com/profile_show.php?id=5

- Aul. Usisiya http://www.malawimayhem.com/profile_show.php?id=31

Both the above are a yellowish color (more so then the pictures really tell)

In this list, they should all live quite well together.

As passive as Yellow labs are compared to other mbuna, I think they would control the tank in you last suggestion which means that nither of the male Haps will color up!!!!!!!!!

If you really want to go with yellow labs...why not do a complete Mbuna set-up with

- 6 yellow labs

- 6 Metriaclima estherae "Blue/Red" http://www.malawimayhem.com/profile_show.php?id=548

Do one or the either and that way you will have all the fish in tank happy and colored up......

HTH

Actually, I didn't want yellow labs, I just thought they might be a good alternative, however, now that you've mentioned it, that looks likes it would be a nice tank. I like those Metriaclima estherae "Blue/Red" b/c the females have some colour as well.

So, you've definitely provided me with two good lists. Now I'll probably just have to go to the stores and see which group I end up going with.

Thanks for the help.