Nice F*cking day

rudy

Sammy you nailed it. I called City of Calgary and they essentially said the same as you. Very high ammonia this year due to large anticipated run off.

Not that it makes it better, but I will know better from now on.

Rip My friends./

I do weekly 50% WCs, and haven't had a problem. I think one thing that really helps is that in my non-planted tanks, I have a few terrestrial plants w. their roots hanging in the filters. Terrestrials seem to suck up any spare N they can!

Of course, in my planted tank, I just got a nice increase in plant growth this week!

Bummer, so sorry to hear about your fish, Tim. :(

Ammonia levels are norm here in Red Deer, and there hasn't been anything off the charts since the new plant upgrade took place last year. Typically water treatment facilities will increase the levels of chlorine/ammonia in the spring to counter the increased bacteria count, from spring run off, as well as rain storms which can overload the system. You can usually tell when this occurs from the potent chlorine smell of the tap water. Do not count on the recommended dose of Prime to remove all of the ammonia, as I found that with Red Deer water that at times I needed to use twice the amount recommended on the Prime container. I've been using ClorAm-X for close to 2 years now, with much better results as far as free ammonia being neutralized.

I called City of Calgary and they essentially said the same as you. Very high ammonia this year due to large anticipated run off.

I find that comment rather interesting, considering the fact that Calgary water is typically not treated with ammonia. If they are in fact now adding ammonia to the tap water, then I guess that means they have now upgraded to using chloramine as a disinfectant (at least during spring run off), and not just chlorine.

Edited by RD.

I find that comment rather interesting, considering the fact that Calgary water is typically not treated with ammonia. If they are in fact now adding ammonia to the tap water, then I guess that means they have now upgraded to using chloramine as a disinfectant (at least during spring run off), and not just chlorine.

Just to Clarify he did not say they were adding ammonia, he just said the levels were high and there were many additives.

He was also quite sympathetic about the rays as well amazingly.