Lava rock background??

finaddict

I was thinking of a project to silicone landscaping lavarocks(smallpeices) to the back of the glass!Just for a different look....

I was wondering if any one has tryed such a thing??Any tips???

To cover up heaters/cords/filter intakes???

tia

I have done it, but not to cover anything but cords [covering heaters will significantly reduse water-flow around them, and make for a much less uniformly heated aquarium (with hot-spots behind the rocks), and covering filter intakes reduces the filter's efficacy]. It looks good, but it is quite [ermanent, so make sure it is what you want ahead of time.

http://www.masswebdesigns.com/images/aqua/progress2.jpg

http://www.masswebdesigns.com/images/aqua/full.jpg

saw this guys and really like the rock in the back.. adds depth and texture/colors to the tank,

Thanks christian for the input... I might try it as my summer project!!!!!! On my new 46 bowfront once I get it from Edmonton!!!

Once I make up my mind.. I nkow it is permanent.. but there is always a razor If I don't like it...

I've seen a guy - I think it was on CF - silicone lava rock to eaves troughs with 3" holes drilled in the troughs for the fish to get in and out of. I think I have the page bookmarked at home... will check later today.

Once I make up my mind.. I nkow it is permanent.. but there is always a razor If I don't like it...

Thats what you think...try rasoring off rocks that are siliconed directly to glass (I have)...they do not come off so easily unless you used gobs of silicone.

My experience with lava rock (in a landscape type setting) has shown me this stuff is TERRIBLE for dust. If you persue such an endevour I strongly suggest you thoroughly clean the material before it goes into a tank. (Perhaps you may choose to wash the rock with a strong stream nozzle on your garden hose)

Dave