Carbo-Plus

Jay

Hey,

I was just wondering if anybody has used this Carbo-Plus thing that's available at Big Al's online (and I'm sure lots of other places). Some kind of electrolisys to put co2 into your tank. You have to buy these carbon bar replacement dohickies for it. But it just seems like a very simple thing to impliment (although I'm sure more costly than other solutions).

...Or if somebody could tell me an easy (not too pricy) way for me to get a CO2 tank setup without having to goto a welding store or crawl all over the city looking for odd parts in odd places.

Cheers

Hello Jay,

Carbo-Plus is indeed based on water electrolysis method. Supposingly, H2O is broken down into H2 and O2, where H2 reacts with C and O2 from carbon sticks (Carbo-Plus inserts), creating H2CO3. How well it actually works, I have never had a chance to verify, perhaps because this method of CO2 enrichment is not very popular among aquarists. Is it because of it's (in)efficiency, or maintenance cost, I can only speculate.

Most aquarists first try with DIY, sugar+yeast fermentation method, mostly because of it's low initial cost. You can read more in this article. However, a pressurized system is by far superior, comparing to any other method, efficiency and maintenance wise. There are no "odd" parts which you can not find easily, but the initial cost of this system is significantly higher.

Edited by Milan

From what I have heard about the Carbo Plus unit, the blocks are quite expensive to replace and tend to crumble and be ineffective. I am sure that spending the money on a pressurized system up front is the right thing to do.

I used diy co2 for about 3 months. It was inconsistent, time consuming and would have cost more in the long run.

You can go to a welding store or a fire supply/safety supply store to get a co2 tank, and order your regulator online. Easy ! Roughly $200 or a bit more for the gear but well worth it. Carbo plus could end up costing more in the end.

Hi:

I got my regulator (two guage), needle valve, bubble counter and solenoid from e-bay. About $90CDN FOB Red Deer. I bought my 20# tank from the Recharge Centre in Edmonton for $80 FOB Red Deer. The Recharge Centre in Calgary wanted $110 plus freight for the same tank (???????????????????). The welding supply stores were easily three times these numbers and allmost the same for filling. I took the tank to the local Coca Cola distributor and they filled my tank for $28. Air Liquide wanted $55 and 10 day turn around. Coke was walk in the door and they filed the tank in the time it took to pay for it. I use a Hagen Elite mini submersabile filter for a diffuser. I simply routed the CO2 line into the inlet on the filter, put the filter as close to the bottom of the tank as I could get it, pointed the exhaust diffuser towards the substrate and hid the whoe shooting match behind severl rocks. Diffusion is great. My system has been uo for about 5 weeks and the gauge that indicates the level in the cylinder has not moved as yet. I tried the DIY but in a 125g tank it was like the drop in the ocean syndrome. The presurized system is guaranteed to be the most cost effecive over time and it is certainly the least demanding. Literally "set it and forget it".

Ok I appreciate all the feedback.

I'm trying to figure out some of how this pressurized thing all works...

So tank (duh)...regulator....and what on earth is a solenoid? Basically what all do I need and a very rough estimate on where I should buy/pay.

Also...with used tanks...How long are they good for (and I don't mean actual use...I mean by law). I know with propane, a tank is certified to be filled (legally) for 10 years and then needs to be inspected and a new valve put in.

See my biggest challenge is...I don't have a car...and I work 6 days a week. I'm not sure what this Recharge center is...or where it is...but I have a sneaking suspicion it is open mon-fri 9-5 (when I work).

Thanks again for all the feedback so far. It seems as tempting as the carbo-plus is for "simplicity" it sounds like it would be a wee bit of a PITA...

Oh yeah...and how long (days/months/years) would you expect a 20# tank to last you...(I have a 77 gal tank)

A 20# tank can be run quite generously (ie 3 bubbles/second) for at least 5-6 months on a 77 gal tank. Actually, I've heard of people getting up to 10 months using a 5# tank!

So tank (duh)...regulator....and what on earth is a solenoid? Basically what all do I need and a very rough estimate on where I should buy/pay.

Jay,

Regulator, solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter are usually "all-in-one" piece. Here is an example of a typical unit. All you need to do is to attach it to the CO2 cylinder on one side, and run a hose to your tank from the other. Milwaukee Instruments regulator can be found often on E-bay, or Best Lab Deals, when it's on sale. Everything under $100 cad (incl. shipping) is a reasonable price.

Edited by Milan