Betta (plakat)

Fish_Frenzy

I have a Orange Plakat Betta male that seems to be losing color in his Dorsal fin...Anyone know what would cause this? It isn't fungus or anything like that...just turning from orange to clear. He is otherwise healthy and active and eats like a piggie.

He is in a half gallon betta bowl and gets a 100% water change every 4-6 days...I also add betta remedy at every water change. Feeding him freeze dried bloodworms and occasionally frozen bloodworms. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tammy :bow:

• 2 weeks later...

I have all of my Bettas on NLS now...they kinda got spoiled with bloodworms :blush:

I went to visit Katherine Stewart (amazing woman) and she said the orange colored Bettas often lose color in their fins...she's not sure why.

On the up side, we picked up a breeding pair of half moons and a breeding pair of silver plakats, and a royalblue marble half moon combtail all for $60.00!! What a steal!

Anybody looking for some amazing bettas...Katherine is the person to contact as she has everything on sale super cheap right now.

Tammy :thumbs:

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Neil,

He is doing really well. I think maybe he was just maturing because it is only the outer trim on all fins that has turned clear...the rest of his fins and body is a deep solid orange and he has a huge appetite! He would eat till he burst if I let him!

On another note, Katherine also told us that the colored gravel that comes with most betta kits is toxic to Bettas! Never knew that. So all our Bettas are in empty bottom bowls now. She also introduced me to almond leaves for the Bettas. They really show a marked improvement with the leaves added to their space.

Up to 16 bettas now. Have some breeding action starting in our half moons so we will see if they produce.

Katherine was very helpful with breeding tips and general care. Can't say enough nice things about her...she is amazing!

Tammy

• 3 weeks later...

Color loss in Betta can be caused by genetic factors, environmental factors, diet, and disease.

Betta can revert to more natural tones if the genotype is unstable. Betta also live in water that is usually high in tannic and hummic acids, so pretreat your water by running it through aquarium grade peat. Blood worms, brine shrimp, and even strained chicken liver are great varieties to offer your Betta. They also seem to prefer shallow tanks.

I have been breeding Betta of different species and type since 1988 and all my customers have had no complaints on the quality of my stock for color and agression.

Best regards,

Edited by Ichthyosporidium