Rinsing flourite

finaddict

Just wondering from those of you who have flourite in your planted tanks, do you rinse it first of put in bottom of tank and then cover with different substrate??

I would like to add some to my new 46 bowfront under sand but should I rinse it first??

tia

I setup a 20g with flourite a couple months ago and i rinsed it fairly well before hand. It was still a bit cloudy when i put it in the tank but it settled out after a couple days. I used just straight flourite, i would assume if you were sovering it with another substrate you wouldnt' have to clean it quite as well as the second layer would hold down any dust.

I have flourite in my tank and I rinsed it thoroughly. It took a long time and the water was still cloudy when I assemebled the tank. I use flourite exclusively. The key is to rinse it really well and let it dry completely before getting the tank going.

Taking the step to let it dry is the key to having clear water when all is said and done.

I've used it. What I have done is wash it first in a large bucket. Rinse it a few times. Then in a bare and clean tank I added some plain potting soil (1 cm deep). Over that I added a thin layer of MIXED flourite/sand and then pure flourite on top. Then I place a large plate in the tank and slowly our in the water onto the plate so that the water will not disturb the substrate.

I find that way, it won't cloud the tank that much. Good luck!

Taking the step to let it dry is the key to having clear water when all is said and done.

How does drying it out stop it from clouding the tank?

Letting it dry allows the sediments to settle into the larger pieces of flourite and stay there. I have read about this on another forum, of course after I set my tank up. This step has worked well for other people, but still depends on rinsing thoroughly. Using flourite in a tank is initially alot of work but I think is very worthwhile.

I have used Flourite in many a tank, many a time. I came across a neat trick that keeps sediments down, and rinsing to a minimum. In fact, the last time I did it, I didn't rinse at all. I put it into an empty tank and added a bit of water - basically enough to get it wet. I let that sit for a bit, then put a plate on top of it. I added the rest of the water VERY SLOWLY by pouring it onto the plate so as to not disturb the substrate.

Incidentally, if I use Flourite as a substrate, that's all I'll use. Finer materials (ie sand) just settle into the lower layers. Mixing w. gravel would help it go a bit further, tho, I guess.

That sounds much less labour intensive than the drying technique and will try that when I set up another tank. Wish I had the time for another tank, don't know how some of you manage multiple tanks and fish rooms!!