hang on or canister?

s.h.

I would go w. a Canister, and set the spray bar as low in the tank as possible. Go with pressurized CO2 - you won't regret it at all! Set up a venturi intake in the spraybar, and your plants will LOVE you!

I had an XP2 on my 45 and it's a great size for it. TONS of flow. You may notice a whistling sound from the spray bar... PM me for a REALLY easy fix if you need it. Follow all Jason's suggestions (even the pressurized CO2... DIY yeilds an increase of only 2-5ppm of CO2 in a tank this size which is nice for a small growth boost) as he was right on the money.

Doesn't matter which.

I use both.

This tank has gold fish for co2 and gold fish poop for everything else...

- A fluval 403 on my java fern tank.

These tanks have lots of plants and diy co2

- An AC500 on my 90 gallon.

- A basic small other HOB (about a Aquaclear 200) on my other 80 gal and all is fine and good.

I saw SerLunchBox's tank. He has 2 AC500 and an Ehiem on a 50 gallon!!! and his plants are fantastic!

Andrew

Edited by Golfnut

Doesn't really matter which type you use, as long as you have sufficient flow and proper filtering media. For planted tanks, filters are sized according to it's flow, which needs to be about 4-5 times (gal/hr) of the tank volume (gal). As far as filter media goes, you need mechanical (foam), and biological (BioMax or similar). Occasionally (ie. after medications), you may need a chemical (active carbon).

Personally, on smaller tanks (<80g), I prefer HOB type, because of easier maintenance (fewer media chambers, no hoses ...). On the other hand, if you wish to use a spray bar, for whatever reason (ie. water circulation), you don't have a choice, but to use a canister.

Edited by Milan