Mixing Africans

jvision

Right now I have a 60 gal of mixed Africans. But, when I move them into my fishroom, I'll be splitting them into two separate tank - Tangs in one, Mbuna in another.

However, I'm thinking that I'll have to put one Mbuna sp. in w. the Tangs (N. brichardi, J. maleri, A. calvus, S. petricola).

Which sp. would you put w. the Tangs?

Lab. caelerus

Mel. cyanearohabdos

Ps. salousi

C. afra "white top"

Mel. joannejohnsoni

All are are in (breeding) groups except the joannejohnsoni, which is just a pair (not sure I'm keeping them).

Thanks!

IME, with mbuna (<-which was maybe six months) and then with Hap/Peacock tank (which we had for over two years maybe three), we had no issues with tangs ever. It was like the fish totally ignored the tangs. I have seen quite a few malawi tanks with tangs however, mostly they were hap/peacock.

My opinoin is there isn't aggression towards the tangs because they look so different compared to the cichlids. We had almost the same tangs as you do except instead of a calvus we had a sexafaciatus. The only problem we ever had was when the bicharsis bred and took over the 90gallon. Of course this was my fault because I thought the birchardis would look so cute if we had two :heart:

I would suggest you try it out and see if there is any aggression towards the tangs and let us know.

Hope this helps,

Amy

Edited by sammyswife

It wasn't just the behavioural differences that I was considering, it was the fact that most mbuna will outcompete the calvus for food. There's a huge difference between sexafaciatus & calvus. Of course if the brichardi pair off, all bets are off, as they will beat the tar out of everything & anything in the tank.

Jason - what size of tank are we talking about, and what size are the calvus, and the labs?

Edited by RD.

It wasn't just the behavioural differences that I was considering, it was the fact that most mbuna will outcompete the calvus for food. There's a huge difference between sexafaciatus & calvus.

Oh no, I don't want any part of starving a beautiful Calvus!!! Sorry Jvision...listen to RD I would have to say dietary needs are his expertise. :D

Amy

I've kept altos with mbuna in the past, but depending on the size of the tank, and the size of the mbuna & altos, it can sometimes be a bit tricky getting enough food to the altos. As it is altos are very slow growers, so the last thing you want to do is short change them on their fair share of the food.

It wasn't just the behavioural differences that I was considering, it was the fact that most mbuna will outcompete the calvus for food. There's a huge difference between sexafaciatus & calvus. Of course if the brichardi pair off, all bets are off, as they will beat the tar out of everything & anything in the tank.

Jason - what size of tank are we talking about, and what size are the calvus, and the labs?

All fish are young - about 1/2 grown. And all fish, right now, are in a 60 gal. I'm going to be splitting them into 2 60s.

Right now everyone's doing pretty good - tho the dominant male afra has his way in the tank. Everyone is eating well right now, so I didn't think it'd be a problem at all when the pop'n density is lower.