bio wheel filters

Raven

just wondering about the different kinds of filters that come with biowheel. I know pengiun has them, i have one for my 29g, but know im looking for on for my 30g with the new cichlids. The petstores id be going to are either petsmart, pj pets, or petcetera. I cant exactly go hunting up a good ilter cause the busses and cold suck at this time of year. so i was wondering which store has the lowest price and how has the better brand names. Thanks guys.

For cichlids, I say mechanical beats biological any day, that is where marineland lacks. Sure the spinny wheel looks cute but it's hard to beat the gph, filter media compartment and raw reliability of an aquaclear. Sure hagen also makes fluval but here is my scu on that. For the price of a fluval 403 I can buy two AC500's and an air pump to add extra airation to my AC's Hmm almost 1,000 gph versus what 380GPH, the question with canisters is " is it working still? With AC's you always know. Oh and as for Marinelands clever biowheel, How much less effective is it in two weeks or less when the wheel stops spinning? A touchy subject on any board I have ever been on, but reliability scale, Aqua clear is a 9.5, Marineland scores a cool 5.5

What you probably have attached to your powerhead is an aquaclear quick filter which is OK for taking the smallest particules out of the water.

The aqua clear 300 is a HOB (hang on back) mecanical / biological filter.

Here's a link with some info:

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?webt...&sku=1556110615

Also for RD....I did not get a chance today to figure out shipping. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers and I hope that helps!!!!!

Rahim- i ordered from www.petsolutions.com When i ordered the AC 500 was on sale for something like 26$(american). Here is the link http://petsolutions.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E...Power+Filter_E_

Shipping is a bit high. It was around 20$ for my order but i ordered lots of stuff to make up for it. I saved a ton even with paying for shipping. I got ebo-jager heaters for 20$ cheaper then what i could find locally so paying for shipping was nothing.

I'd like to add another vote for the Aquaclear. The thing that always gets me about the Marineland filters is that silly carbon / mech pack that you have to change out. I have Aquaclear sponges I've been using for 7 years.

Also, and I am really not saying this to start a flamewar or anything, but I don't think the BioWheel is good for anything at all. It's a gimmick.

Glad you got the AC

One great benifit of the A/C line of filters; there is enough room in the compartment to install " 2 " FOAMS. The 300 and 500 series are great.!

Two foams will increase the bio-logicial carrying capacity. Less chance of losing the bio, when [proberly] cleaning the foams.

Bio-wheels are a good idea, on paper!! However, remember, they do require maintance too.

The quick filter attachment, you have on the power head, is a dedicated mechanical filter. Not the best choice for bio-logical filtration.

Mass. The more surface area available, for the bio-bacteria to colonize, the better.

HTH

Smokey

B)

The two sponge idea is also great for getting ready to cycle a new tank. Usually works best when you buy the same size of AC though. Generally though during an instant cycle, I try to use 3/4 of a tank of the dirtiest water I can find from a previously cycled tank, that means stirring up the old tanks bottom and squeezing out the old filters into the new tank. which is running with an old sponge from the older tank and then after a couple of days 4-5, I will add a powerhead with the quick filter filled with floss and polish the water. once the water is crystal. I will leave the AC to do it's job and continue water changes at a normal rate. Of course this works best if the old tank is better as I prefer never to take more than 50% water from any tank. The even better part of AC is that you can use the extra intake tube and an old cycled sponge as a new cycled sponge filter for your newest fry tank, just add air and stone.cut the tip off the intake and insert your airline all the way through, install airstone and make a slice at the bottom of the sponge and one in the middle of the top. In the top insert the fat end of the intake tube in the one across the bottom on the side insert a sone or some weight of whatever kind. sink in your tank and add air.Sponge filter