cichlids ate my java moss

finaddict

I got some free moss(thxlulk) anyways attached alot to 2 peices of drift in the 90g and it held securly by eleastics,and the mbuna ate all of it that I put in with them not peice left anywhere!!!

Is this normal?

I thought they would leave moss alone!!!! yikes

My other moss is in a diffrent tank 46b, and so far not getting eaten yet???

I have java moss in my fry tanks and they have never touched it. I haven't tried any java moss in my big tanks though!

from what i read...

Cichlids can be diggers (they are!) and will always uproot plants.

I have heard as well that they don't like the taste of Java Fern, which seems to be a common plant for africans.

Maybe your africans thought you were giving them a treat? :lol:

If you were looking at adding plants to your african tank... Talk to Jason (jvision) as he is keeping a planted african tank and is making it look easy!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

Plants that I've found work w. mbuna:

Java fern

Anubias barteri

Spiral Val

Plants that haven't worked well:

Hygro. polysperma

Rotala indicita

Red Tiger Lotus

I'm not surprized about your findings, Connie. They like to nibble, and moss is easy to nibble! The plants that haven't worked for me have much softer leaves than the ones that have worked.

I've never had any luck with plants in my malawi tank. I've tried all the hardy plants like java fern and moss, anubias, vals etc. and they all get mowed down within a couple days. I guess it just depends on the fish, some will leave plants and some don't.

My blood parrots chewed up all the java fern in their tank.

My mbunas leave the java fern alone, but like to dig them up.

My other mbunas chew on valisenaria like celery.

My assorted Africans eat anything that grows. In the last couple of weeks they have gone through a couple of corkscrew vals, a bunch of cobomba, a small tiger val and a couple of others I'm not sure the names of. Which is why I still keep my plastic plants. When the real ones are getting eatcn, the fake ones start to look okay again. haha

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Fogelhund saying that if he ever put a few plants in a tank, they would all be eaten quickly. If he loaded the tank with them, no problems.