Discus in Edmonton

fred

Fred, before you get any discus, make sure your tank is cycled - the nitrogen process has to be completed BEFORE you add sensitive, expensive fish. Otherwise, you're just flushing money down the drain.

Time is your best friend - especially when you want to go with something expensive like discus.

Set up your tank the way you want it, slowly add the tankmates you want for your discus (cardinal tetras, rams/apistos, hatchets, pencilfish - all are good options), let them get establish for a few months. When nobody's died in a while, then I'd say the tank should be ready for your discus.

Hope this helps. :)

I know the guy who owns Family Pet Supercenter in SP breeds them. And, I've always been impressed w. the stock at Natures Corner. I don't think he has any in, yet; but, rumor has it they'll be bringing some nice discus in sometime in the near future (right, Henry? ;) )

I know the guy who owns Family Pet Supercenter in SP breeds them. And, I've always been impressed w. the stock at Natures Corner. I don't think he has any in, yet; but, rumor has it they'll be bringing some nice discus in sometime in the near future (right, Henry? ;) )

Yes Jason, we will be bringig in Discus but not until Aug/Sept. .....and yes Family Pet Supercenter in SP does stock some nice quality ones when he has them.

?? is there a Vendor forum somewhere in here for me to post specials in or new stock/plants??

Henry

• 1 month later...

i know this is probably late and you already got fish. but dont by from big als. In beleive some are hormone fed and if u dont look hard enough they might be stunted. i got four from there and three have not grown at all. while i have others that have grown quite a bit..

good luck. Jen.(not fred LOL)

• 4 weeks later...

hi

i like many others have kept discus in straight edmonton tap water. they survived. as long as you don't treat discus as a fish that is going to drop dead if you look at them wrong, you shouldn't have any problems. clean water is crucial though, as many have pointed out before. you may have more of a problem with wild caught fish, and be sure to quarentine and acclamatise slowly.

there are a few dicus breeders in the fish club, i don't want to name names or they will recieve a million phone calls from all you wanting discus for a cheaper price. but, join the club, attend a meeting, talk to them in person and see what they can do for you. joining the club also has another perk of getting discounts at BA's for one, not sure if any other stores do, they might. another way to get nice discus at a very low price are auctions. in edmonton, i think they ussually have around 4 to 6 bags of discus every auction. maybe not alot to choose from, but at the price you'll be paying you won't care. ussually just blue diamonds, red turqs, common variaties.

i hope the discus go well. they are tougher then the books like to point out.