Reptile World, Drumheller

Froggie

This past weekend I made a visit to Reptile World in Drumheller for the first time. While I enjoyed my visit, I must admit I do wish the glass on the enclosures was significantly cleaner. As it was I didn’t take too many shots but felt I ought to share a few of what I did. I apologize about the tighter framing in most, the utilitarian décor wasn’t very inspiring so I tried to keep it out of the pictures.

aaa.jpg

aab.jpg

aag.jpg

aac.jpg

aaf.jpg

aad.jpg

aae.jpg

aah.jpg

aai.jpg

All pictures were taken with a Nikon D50, 105mm f/2.8D and SB600 flash and there was no cropping.

Enjoy!

I was there last year, and while I too wished the glass was cleaner, I can't possibly imagine the amount of time that would entail to keep it all clean.

Which, I would assume, is from the amount of time it would take to keep it cleaned daily.

Doesn't take too long to grime up on most of those cages.

Was going on the basis that the glass would only be cleaned perhaps once or twice a week. Given the state it was in, I'd guess it's closer to a month or two.

Don't bet on it...most herps can have the glass pretty icky within a few hours.

Don't bet on it...most herps can have the glass pretty icky within a few hours.

Included the snakes though and they were most definately hard water stains from misting, not to mention it was pretty through on both the inside and the out.

Hard water stains are a curse....if I were Dave, I would use only RO water for misting....especially for display cages.

Anyhow the general point was that without any lighting in the enclosures it was difficult enough to clearly see a few of the reptiles through the glass, let alone take pictures.

Anyhow the general point was that without any lighting in the enclosures it was difficult enough to clearly see a few of the reptiles through the glass, let alone take pictures.

No lighting whatsoever? It is possible, that if the temperature in the building were climbing a lot on hot days, that lighting may have been off to help keep some of the enclosures cooler. Not great for display purposes, but it may not have been an option.

No lighting whatsoever? It is possible, that if the temperature in the building were climbing a lot on hot days, that lighting may have been off to help keep some of the enclosures cooler. Not great for display purposes, but it may not have been an option.

Some of them did have lighting but a great number didn't have any on.