Cichlids in a 15 gallon?

Mighty Prawn

You might be able to get away w. a pair of Juli's. I'd stick w. Shell-dwellers, tho. Maybe use some White Cloud Minnows as dithers.

Silly me! When you mentioned Juli's, Hideo, I thought you just wanted Africans. Val makes an excellent point. There are a lot of dwarf cichlids out there that would do great in a 15 gal.

Rams, Apistos, Aquidens from SA

Kribs and other Pelvicachromis from Africa

There are a few other species that are hard to find that would also do well in a 15. But, as for Rift Lake cichlids, I'd stick w. shellies.

Actually it's not for me at all, I thought I would ask though as in all my fish knowledge, only about 1% of that is about cichlids ;-)

A friend of mine wants to put some in a 15 gallon. He's from winnipeg, said the fish store there called Nestors or something suggested electric yellows, and I am trying to steer him to shell dwellers instead. (I just don't love elec yellows)

-Hideo

• 2 weeks later...

A little outdated but in case it helps someone searching later, my Electric Yellow Cichlid (just one) started out in a 10G. She's my Son's fish and he was told that she would be the only fish in there if that's what he wanted for his tank. After a brief explanation, he understaood and was fine with that.

Size-wise, she should have been just fine, and I suppose she was for the most part, but at only 3/4 grown I would watch her try to take a good fast swim around. She'd get a few wags of the tail in before she had to stop. Everything about how she acted said that tank was too small for her. I added an airstone for her to play in, but it bugged me.

She is now the only fish in a 20G, fully grown. Even now I see her swimming around and feel she needs more space, but that's all she's getting....lol. I think that sometimes we forget to factor in all of the needs of the fish. She is an active fish who likes to swim lengths, not laps.

As for aggression, I had a CAE in with her for awhile and when she was holding eggs, that fish could not move without her chasing it, even though they both had their own caves on opposite sides of the tank. I had to put a very low cave in for the Algae Eater so he could find refuge.

That's my experience anyway :D .