Angel fry

Fish_Frenzy

Hi all, I have about 200 angel fry in a 33 community tank...wondering if they will make it there or do I have to move them? They are just wrigglers... not free swimming yet...the parents are looking after them really well and they have just recently moved them to a new spot. (boy is daddy ever protective!)

I am just wondering if I need to move them outta there. They are in with 6 bronze cories, 3 clown loaches(little) and 2 clown plecos. Oh and 1 columbian tetra.

Any and all feedback would be helpful as this is my fist batch to make it past the egg stage.

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

The loaches and tetra will do their best to have them for lunch - and, I'm not talking a little tea party. :P Cory's are pretty opportunistic, too, and won't hesitate to munch up the little guys if they can.

I'm sure the parents will (eventually) be able to raise a few; but, if you want to keep most of them, it'd be best to move them. Leave a few w. the parents, to see how it all goes.

I hope you are hatching brine shimp or something

GL Tammy

I couldn't even get my eggs to stay for more than a night with out them getting eaten

Edited by Canadbis

If you plan on breeding and raising the fry the only proper way is to have the 2 adults in a tank of their own. It doesn't have to be more than a 20G., but when I used to breed angels that was the only way to have regular spawns and to keep any other fish from eating the fry. Wriggling fry in a tank is like ringing a dinner gong until they are all gone. I have even seen the parents eat their own fry or eggs they get so frustrated trying to protect them and once they have done that it is a real problem trying to break them of the habit. Back when I raised them all there was to feed the fry was live baby brine shrimp (and what a hassle that was keeping 3 hatcheries going) or infusoria or liquid egg yolk formula. Now there are several no hassle prepared dry foods available - like Better than Brine Shrimp. So it doesn't have to be a time consuming laborious job if you do want to keep them.If you leave the fry in the existing setup it is highly unlikely there will be any survivors. I had 2 cyndrilicus eat 250 brichardi fry in less than 1/2 a day and everybody knows what good parents brichardis are. If you do want to keep the fry I would suggest a 10G. tank with an aged sponge filter. You want to make sure they are all getting maximum food intake at the free swimming stage, which will be pretty quick from the sounds of it. I haven't done this for many many years, so I hope one of the current breeders can help you out more. Good luck.

Uh oh...where do I find brine shrimp?? Anybody have a hatchery going that I could get some from?? I still see egg sac on them, but not much. :shock: . I will try to find some of the better than brine shrimp food as I would love to try and raise these guys! They are getting moved to their own tank tonight with an established sponge filter and water from the parents tank.....I really don't wanna do the brine hatchery with 14 tanks on the and working, I have my hands full!

Tammy

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Tammy: call me after 2 P.M. today (254-9402) and I will give you some of the Better than Brine Shrimp in the egg layer size. This is great stuff and the fry love it. Harold

I forgot to mention that I bring this in from the U.S., as I have never seen it in Canada anywhere. It is only available in very limited quantities - it is usually gone as fast as they can make it.

Edited by fairdeal

*I only said Golds because she is closest to them*

Liar!!!! :P Actually, I am unfamiliar with the stuff....does Dennis carry it?

LOL

Not sure I just figured it was worth a try, isnt everything?

Tammy: call me after 2 P.M. today (254-9402) and I will give you some of the Better than Brine Shrimp in the egg layer size. This is great stuff and the fry love it. Harold

I forgot to mention that I bring this in from the U.S., as I have never seen it in Canada anywhere. It is only available in very limited quantities - it is usually gone as fast as they can make it.

Harold...you are my new hero!!!

I have called every single pet store in Calgary and nobody has even heard of better than brine shrimp! :eh:

I had a look and the egg sacs are more or less gone now. I left a few wrigglers with the parents and they are still going strong too...(didn't want the parents to get too upset with me) I am anxious to see how well they do at looking after a few babies. Very aggressive, even trying to attack me when I just looked at them!

Tammy :bow: