Can I use petrified wood in my aquarium?

Normally I would say yes. The only concern being have they been sprayed with bug and weed chemicals and how much has absorbed into the wood.

Don't use chemicals...................

It is actually rock, but very pourus, almost like bone,but Oh so nice......................

Thought it would be nice to make caves for Cichlids!

Edited by Green Seahorse

Rinse off pieces, Bake pieces at 500 deg. F for 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the pieces to make sure they don't catch on fire. This should sterilize the pieces from most types of fungus, mold, bacteria, and parasites. Scrape off any charred spots.

Then soak the pieces in brine (non-iodized salt and water at a ratio of (2) cups of salt per (5) gallons of water) for three to five days, changing the brine every day. Use fresh water only on the last change. This process does a number of things:

1. Leaches out contaminants

2. removes excess tannic and hummic acids

3. Waterlogs the piece

4. further sterilizes the piece.

After that, it should be ok to put in your tank

FYI: Pickling salt is a good economical chioce for this application.

Just so you know, most insecticides and herbicides are designed to biodegrade in a short amount of time within days or weeks after application. I had to learn this stuff when I took my applicator's liscence at a local garden center where I was the resident pond expert and perennials manager.

:thumbs: Thank you! I am sooo excited!

I will start tomorrow!

So does everyone sterilize there slate and rock like this before putting it in there Aquarium? Do I do this to rock too??

p.s. Now I will be baking rock and pickling it. Yeah the kids are right........................................................

I am crazy! LOL :P

Ahh jeez, I was thinking of drift wood. Skip the baking process. The PETRIFIED WOOD should be given the fizz test, take vinegar to a dry sample of petrified wood, if it fizzles, dont use it. A good soak (24 hrs) in brine is all you need! GAWD I"M AN IDJIT (LOL!)

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

Ahh jeez, I was thinking of drift wood. Skip the baking process. The PETRIFIED WOOD should be given the fizz test, take vinegar to a dry sample of petrified wood, if it fizzles, dont use it. A good soak (24 hrs) in brine is all you need! GAWD I"M AN IDJIT (LOL!)

Ok well I am glad I did not start baking rocks! LOL -roll-

Sorry about that, it is not like it would have been detremental to bake rocks, just unecessary.

And actually, it would not be a bad idea to put into practise. Any action that brings the probability of infection / infestation closer to zero should be considered seriously, no matter how slight the chance of occurance is.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

Sorry about that, it is not like it would have been detremental to bake rocks, just unecessary.

And actually, it would not be a bad idea to put into practise.

There are drawbacks...if the rock retains any real moisture, and you heat it enough, it might well shatter.....it happens with river rocks all the time.