Algae Eating Shrimp

Blue Ram

I'm interested in getting some of these - however, know very little about them. What kind of algae do they eat?? Are they safe in a community tank with non-agressive fish?? Anyone seen them in Calgary for sale?? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance

Edited by Blue Ram

Cardina japonica (aka Amano shrimp) will eat a few different types of algae - mostly the fuzzy types. They'll also eat what scraps they can get their claws on.

They grow to be about 3", and are fine with most fish that can't fit them in their mouths.

I've had 3 for a few years - they're 3" ea. Though... I haven't seen them since I got my sevrums....

Cardina japonica (aka Amano shrimp) will eat a few different types of algae - mostly the fuzzy types. They'll also eat what scraps they can get their claws on.

They grow to be about 3", and are fine with most fish that can't fit them in their mouths.

I've had 3 for a few years - they're 3" ea. Though... I haven't seen them since I got my sevrums....

Any others that do not get that big?? The ones I saw were only about 1" - maybe they were not full grown??

I have always had amano shrimps in my tanks but they have never gotten to 3", I have never even heard of them getting that big. Mine have bodies that are about 1 1/2" long.

I also have some cherry shrimp, they stay smaller then the amano but are usually more expensive too.

I have always had amano shrimps in my tanks but they have never gotten to 3", I have never even heard of them getting that big. Mine have bodies that are about 1 1/2" long.

I also have some cherry shrimp, they stay smaller then the amano but are usually more expensive too.

I'm assuming the cherry shrimp eat algae as well? Will shrimp leave the live plants alone?? Are there any fish they should not be with??

Cherry shrimp are detritivores - they'll snack a bit on algae, but will spend most of their time picking through the gravel and such. They seem to max out around 1.5" The females are bright red, so a little easier to see in the tank when they're out feeding. But, being that small, they will stay hidden quite a bit.

I once thought the 3" Amano shrimp was just a legend.... oh, and that mutant that Henry used to have in his tank - it whas HUGE!!!! But, mine made it that big... I hope they're just back in hide-mode, now. They'd make a great snack for those Sevrums. :o