africans and there behavior

Raven

You should know they are in a 30g, with a powerhead and aquaclear filter. No real plants, just rock. The substrates sand and some gravel. Tank mates are, 6 acei fry, 3-4 albino red euerkas (sp) and 3-4 bracardis. Ive been told that things should be ok, unless the 'princesses' start pairing up and breeding. Well, since the day i put in some river rocks to form a cave, i noticed the sand shifting. I thought it was from the current the power head caused, until the sand was being moved from under a very large rock ornament that many of the fish use. Then, the day i added some more water to make up for the amount evapoated ( the tank has no lid) i saw 2 bracardi swimming in and out of the cave like systems formed under the decor. To prevent any breeding, i moved the sand back under the place it should of been. Hopefully this delays any future problems, and well advice on what else to do would be nice. Thanks guys.

It's very hard to stop fish from breeding and pairing up.

I don't think it is aproblem unless you see the "pair" being agressive towards any of the other tank mates.

Wait it out and see what happens. No use panicing until there is a reason to.

Keep us informed and we will try help as much as possible.

As previously mentioned in another thread, once the Neolamprologus brichardi pair off they will become more & more aggressive towards the other fish in your tank. At some point they will breed (you won't be able to stop them) and from there on in things will get very ugly towards the rest of the fish in your tank.

Your tank is only big enough for one pair of brichardi, period. If you don't like that option, then do the rest of your fish a favour & get rid of the brichardi.

I second RD comment.

Just see what happens. They may not breed or be old enough to breed for some time. When that time come, I assure you, you will know and all your other fish will either start being killed off or will retreat to the top corners of the tank.

I would just wait it out and see....BUT be prepared

I agree with both Rahim and RD, they are very aggressive fish, But it you do really like them then your other option could be to just keep one of the birchardi. That way he/she has nothing to really be aggressive over so that could be your other option if you really like them. Good luck. But just keep in mind that you can't stop your fish from breeding it's something fish are really good at doing and they seem to do it the most when we really don't want them too.

Jenn

thanks guys ill keep a eye out on the bracardi, and maybe ill sell them to a petsore, like pjs, for a bit of money. If i do sell them to pjs, how much should i ask for. would they be more, if i waited till the were older and were able to give the store a breeding pair?

You may not want to wait, as things can get very agressive, very quickly. Selling them off as a pair, as long as they have paired up, would be a good bet.

Better than having injured fish in the end.

If you have kids, I recomend a 20gal tank.

Bargain finder is cheap.

The Brichardi are one of the few fish that will actually raise multiple generations of young, all at the same time, and in the same tank.

Keep this in mind, as they are a quite interesting.

Later trade the larger offspring for food + Misc from your local PS.

If overcrowding gets to be a problem, just don't feed them for a week.

Problem solved.

Just a thought.

:beer:

they fish are a bit over a inch, some aproching 2 inches. How big do they have to be to breed anyway? So far as extra tanks go, all i have is a 10 g. but i can wait around till i get my hands on another one, and start something with a petstore.