CO2 Jello recipies

Cheese

good tips there vic...Thanks

I have been using bakers yeast and I have found that it is only lasting about 2 weeks in my Hagen setup.. I add about a quarter of a teaspoon of Baking soda... I wonder why my diy co2 doesnt last as long as others... interesting but at 2 weeks it still is a way cheaper then purchasing the companies 3 little packs for 8-9 bucks...Robbery

This is the recipe i use, i get about 2 weeks or less from this.

2 cups sugar

1/4 teaspoon baker's yeast

a pinch of baking soda

I haven't really tried any other recipes though. Would be interested in hearing the recipes for those who get 3 weeks, also for the big cranberry jug (4L).

Chantell

The recipe I use is for a 4l jug(a cranberry juice jug). I put 4cups sugar, 1/2tsp brewer's yeast and fill it warm water to the point on the jug where the neck starts to narrow.

This recipe usually last about 3 weeks before it starts to really slow down.

I've never tried the jello one.

Valerie, if you don't mind my asking, what did you use to puncture the cap and seal the airline to it? I've seen some plans on the net for simply siliconing an anti-drainback valve through a hole in the cover, but I'm not sure how good a seal one would get...

My BIL got the newest yeast-driven system that uses a powerhead-like pump instead of a matrix, and the plants in his 20 are out of control! I'm using the hagen bubble-through-the-grid setup, and have been less than happy with the results... I may take away some of the collective wisdom from here and go DIY - thanks folks!

To make a hole in the lid I used a drill. I made the hole a bit smaller then the tube and squeezed it through. Then I siliconed it to seal it.

Fot putting the co2 into the tank I use a little Elite mini filter/pump. I have 2 of these in different tanks and really like them. I tried a powerhead but found it made a lot more noise then the elite mini filter.

I used my "steel" (kitchen tool , used on knives) to make perfect for the airline holes in my plastic bottle caps. I push the airline tubing through and it makes a very nice tight seal , no silicone.

Reading these posts I've found I'm not using enough sugar in mine, I'm glad this thread is here, I'll be trying these tips'n'hints. Sue

So how does this set up work to get the co2 in the tank? Does anyone have any pics or describe the setup assembly?

With my DIY setups I have 2l pop bottles on the smaller tanks and 4l juice jug on my bigger tank. I took the cap of the bottle, drilled a hole and inserted an airline tubing into it, so it stick in about an inch inside the bottle. Then I run the airline tubing down into the tank. I have the end of the tube going into the airline tube connection on my Elite mini filter. It turns the Co2 bubbles into a fine mist.

There are many ways of getting the Co2 into your tank. Some people use CO2 ladders, airstones, feed it into the filter intake, or powerheads. But basically all you need is a bottle and some airline tubing to get started