Help ! New large hunk of driftwood wonk sink

Qattarra

I just bought this new piece of driftwood today to put into the 72Gal. but it just wants to float, how do I convince it that it looks better at the bottom of the tank?

BTW I already tried sweet talking to it and even idle threats, I'm at the point where I've got a big rock on it and talking to it like I'm Capone !

Sorry , that's supposed to be WONT sink

Edited by Qattarra

I find driftwood has to soak for quite a while to sink,

you can attach it to a piece of slate if you are in a rush.

It works quite well. Good luck with the sweet talking to it and

even idle threats, lol, seems to never work but makes you feel better. :D

Did you boil it? Gotta kill the nasties :grr: . Do you know what type of wood it is? Some aren't suitable for aquariums.

Soaking will also help bring out the tannins, otherwise you'll probably see a change in Ph so I'd keep an eye on it for awhile. It may also yellow the water. If you already knew all that, consider it unsaid B) .

As for weighting, I've heard great things about slate for the larger pieces. I siliconed mine to beach rocks, but I use smallish pieces.

MM-BNPleco-M.jpgMM-BNPleco-M-4.jpg

Most importantly, don't forget to call it names. This method also applies to computers, things you stub your toe on, and pretty much anything or anybody during PMS week.

No I didn't boil it :( It's a really big stump, about 16 in. accross. I washed it. What kind of nastys?

I started calling it it names though..."you measly little twig" for instance, but it's still fighting me lol. I'll just have to keep holding it down until it surcomes.

Bacteria and anything else that calls the wood home should be removed before adding it to the aquarium. Boiling also helps it sink faster. If you can't boil it, you can soak it in a bleach solution and then soak in dechlorinated water, with the water being changed frequently. You can combine that with the waterlogging process before adding it to the tank. It will also bring out the worst of the tannins. You can use a pure salt treatment for sterilizing as well.

My (self-proclaimed) expert opinion is that you're not swearing at it enough. B)

I used a combination of all of these treatments on a good sized piece that I picked up in Fish Creek Park. I soaked it in water with bleach for a day, then gave it about 5 rinse soaks, a day at a time. Each time I changed the rinse I put in new water as hot as I could get it, beginning with a kettle full of boiled water poured over the wood. It definitely colors the water each time, but by the fifth time it was almost nothing. So I attached it to a big piece of slate and put it in, with gravel hiding the slate. It looks fine and hasn't changed the water chemistry. And no bug was able to survive the cleansing and rinsing. Sounds like a lot of work but it's not really, and it's worth it to be sure you don't upset the tank.

Thanks everyone. I have it in the bathtub now, uner a piece of granite with 4 cups of aquarium salt,hot water and 1/2 cup of bleach. I'll check on it in the norning.

Tannins are miserable to remove, so hopefully they won't stain the tub. You may need an abrassive bleach cleaner if it does. The bleach in the water may prevent it anyway.

The things we do in this hobby hmmm? Makes me thank the good Lord that I don't have a spouse to answer to....lol....I have had my kitchen cupboards and half the table covered in q-tanks on incoming fish day before, I'm sure that would go over well with a significant other. Now if I could just convince the kid that I need a fishroom more than he needs a bedroom....Angel.gif