Pet solutions

canucklehead

It depends on how it goes through customs and Canada post, this time they collected when they delivered. It also matters where the goods originated from. If made in the US there should be no duty. I recently bought a mini lathe and milling machine from Clisby in Australia and got clobbered with duty, You have to pay the gst on almost everything. NOTE If you order from the US make sure they do not ship with UPS or any other courier, they will automatically tack on a brokerage fee. Use USPS (mail) if possible.

I just recieved an order today from Pet Solutions.

One mag drive seven pump $48.44

Two Hydor Theo 200w heaters $18.99ea

Shipping $20.25

Total USD $106.67 X 1.2 exchange = $128.00 CAD +$11.13 gst & customs

$139.13 total

Big als, pump only $149.95 heaters $41.99ea = $233.93 +gst & shipping

JL Aquatics, Pump $92.95 heaters $34.95ea = $162.95 plus gst & shipping

Mops, pump$ 104.99 heaters $38.99 = $182.97 plus gst & shipping

I first tried the lfs here and one wanted almost $200.00 for the pump alone.

Big als and Mops do not carry the Hydor heaters so above prices are for Ebo Jager equivalents. If I assume $20.00 shipping plus gst, I,m saving at least 40% to 90%

I always try to buy locally first but if prices get outrageous, it,s time to look elsewhere. Perhaps I,ll take the dollars I saved and buy some fish locally.

deduct 5% from the J&L price to get the Big Al's on line price and there is no shipping charge from Big Al's for that size order. Matters not you still saved some money. I order lots of stuff on line from Jehmco and other places hlwever I have about $800.00 in credits for fish and plants in my wallet so I'll use it at the LFS for whatever I need providing they have it. They take care of me and I take care of them.

Rick

It depends on how it goes through customs and Canada post, this time they collected when they delivered. It also matters where the goods originated from. If made in the US there should be no duty. I recently bought a mini lathe and milling machine from Clisby in Australia and got clobbered with duty, You have to pay the gst on almost everything. NOTE If you order from the US make sure they do not ship with UPS or any other courier, they will automatically tack on a brokerage fee. Use USPS (mail) if possible.

the key to ordering and having it shipped via UPS is to have the retailer or shipper sent it to you as a company, ie: if I order and ship via UPS I can have it shipped to "Ricks Live Fish Store" and indicate on the shipping bill and invoice that the "customer will broker". UPS will always call a commerical customer however they automatically broker small value shipments for individuals. I had nothing but grief dealing with them on my order from Jehmco until I found out what is required. I am presently waiting for a order and simply had it shipped air freight which should get it delivered to my door.

Rick

I just recieved an order today from Pet Solutions.

One mag drive seven pump $48.44

Two Hydor Theo 200w heaters $18.99ea

Shipping $20.25

Total USD $106.67 X 1.2 exchange = $128.00 CAD +$11.13 gst & customs

$139.13 total

Big als, pump only $149.95 heaters $41.99ea = $233.93 +gst & shipping

JL Aquatics, Pump $92.95 heaters $34.95ea = $162.95 plus gst & shipping

Mops, pump$ 104.99 heaters $38.99 = $182.97 plus gst & shipping

I first tried the lfs here and one wanted almost $200.00 for the pump alone.

Big als and Mops do not carry the Hydor heaters so above prices are for Ebo Jager equivalents. If I assume $20.00 shipping plus gst, I,m saving at least 40% to 90%

I always try to buy locally first but if prices get outrageous, it,s time to look elsewhere. Perhaps I,ll take the dollars I saved and buy some fish locally.

deduct 5% from the J&L price to get the Big Al's on line price and there is no shipping charge from Big Al's for that size order. Matters not you still saved some money. I order lots of stuff on line from Jehmco and other places hlwever I have about $800.00 in credits for fish and plants in my wallet so I'll use it at the LFS for whatever I need providing they have it. They take care of me and I take care of them.

Rick

As I said I try to use my lfs if possible. I will soon have to make a trip to Edmonton because the local shops are not interested in even trying to bring in the fish I want . Not all shops have the same degree of service. I did however go to them first. I believe in buying locally IF it makes sense to. Afterall the money stays in your community.

UPS (as most couriers) are usually a nightmare to deal with if/when anything goes wrong, especially on International orders. Canada Post & the USPS are much easier to deal with if damage or loss occurs, although both can still be a pain in the @$$ at times.

GST is always collected by Canada Post, along with a $5 fee for their trouble.

Since NAFTA was implemented most items made in the USA are duty free.

Val - I have no idea why, but my last order from Petsolutions also came in with no GST. I wasn't complaining. :)

I live in Lloydminster, the fish are nothing to exotic, 3-4" gts, jds and or texas cichlids, maybe tiger oscars. I want larger fish that are not to picky. The dithers and cats I will buy from the shops here.

Ya i understand.

Perdy much every shop in E-town has what your looking for at reasonable prices.

Goodluck.

UPS (as most couriers) are usually a nightmare to deal with if/when anything goes wrong, especially on International orders. Canada Post & the USPS are much easier to deal with if damage or loss occurs, although both can still be a pain in the @$$ at times.

GST is always collected by Canada Post, along with a $5 fee for their trouble.

Since NAFTA was implemented most items made in the USA are duty free.

Val - I have no idea why, but my last order from Petsolutions also came in with no GST. I wasn't complaining. :)

Val - I have no idea why, but my last order from Petsolutions also came in with no GST. I wasn't complaining

Yeah neither am I, I was just curious as to why it would be GST free :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting fact about Big Al in earlier post. i was told by Big Al store in calgary that they are not affiliate with the online store. Because i was trying to get the price match between their online store and their real retail store.

The girl worked there told me they won't and they are the same company but totally different. Was pissed off and left since i called ahead and someone said on the phone that it will be less than the online store...and when i got there, she told me a different story.

I ended up ordering it together with other stuff from JL ......fast shipment ;-)