Pet solutions

canucklehead

I have ordered from them before and was very pleased. Shipping was around 20$ but i compensate by making "bulk" orders so it works out. I saved so much last time it covered the shipping costs. I got a AC 500for around 30$(Can), the saving just from that covered the shipping.

It does take a while for you to get your stuff. I think it took around 14days last time. BUt i didn't mind as i didn't order anything i needed right away. PLus i didn't mind as I had gotten such great deals.

So i would recommend ordering from them. Shippings a bit high but if you make a larger order its worth it.

FOr the sutff i ordered even after i converted it to canadian and took into account the shipping, it still came up way cheaper. For the stuff i was purchasing(AC filters and ebo-jager heaters) i saved on average 20$ each item. Where else are you going to find a ebo-jager heater(new) for around 20$can or a AC500 for 30$can.

Sure if he was to just buy the 1 filter the savings wouldnt' be worth having to pay the shipping. But if you make larger orders it is most certainly worth it. I made an order of 150$(can) the last time i ordered, I calculated i saved 60$+(after paying for shipping). If i had bought my 3 heaters and AC 500 locally it would have costed way more. They also sell NLS foods, the reason i started ordering from there to begin with.

With the Canadian $$ up above $0.80 right now it's even cheaper...I've ordered from them a few times, and even with heavier items(more weight=more money for shipping) I came up way ahead...Something else to think about: It's not necessarily a bad thing to support your local LFS...It would sure suck if we had to order EVERYTHING including fish from mail-order, not to mention it's nice to have someone that'll take extra fish/fry and give you a store credit ;)

D.

It would sure suck if we had to order EVERYTHING including fish from mail-order, not to mention it's nice to have someone that'll take extra fish/fry and give you a store credit

Most definately. I still purchase tons of stuff from the LFS. I usually order online if i'm setting up a new tank and need to buy all the equipement. Otherwise i get most of my stuff from the local LFS

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with supporting a lfs ifthe lfs is willing to support the hobbyist.

In times past I have dealt with stores that were more than willing to watch suppliers lists for certain species and actually call me to let me know what he could get.

Now the only local shops are either petsmarts or Big Als that will not.

there is one shop that is neither but will still not let me know what he can get cause he says there is no market for what i'm looking for.

As any serious hobbist would agree this is very annoying due to the fact that i would want at least 6 to try and get a pair.

I wonder sometimes if some shop owners really care about their customers intrests.

Ok rant over :rolleyes::D

Hemi

Iam also for not getting #$%@ed over. Why is it that lfs charge a hell of alot more than in the States, after the exchange rates lfs still charge twice and more in some cases.

the reason is that they have little overhead as compared to your LFS. They are a mail order business for the most part. Take Big Al's for example. Check out their web site and compare the prices from the Canadian side to the American side. The difference in price will blow you away, why?. Because they have no retail outlets in the U.S , just mail order but they do have retail stores in Canada so the Canadian retail price for their on line goods reflects the retail price for the same product that is in the store....however. If you check the Canadian site you will see that they will match and beat any other Canadian on line seller by 5%. I just ordered a number of items from them and they matched the price from Mops and J&L and further maked the items down by 5%.

Rick

I just recieved an order today from Pet Solutions.

One mag drive seven pump $48.44

Two Hydor Theo 200w heaters $18.99ea

Shipping $20.25

Total USD $106.67 X 1.2 exchange = $128.00 CAD +$11.13 gst & customs

$139.13 total

Big als, pump only $149.95 heaters $41.99ea = $233.93 +gst & shipping

JL Aquatics, Pump $92.95 heaters $34.95ea = $162.95 plus gst & shipping

Mops, pump$ 104.99 heaters $38.99 = $182.97 plus gst & shipping

I first tried the lfs here and one wanted almost $200.00 for the pump alone.

Big als and Mops do not carry the Hydor heaters so above prices are for Ebo Jager equivalents. If I assume $20.00 shipping plus gst, I,m saving at least 40% to 90%

I always try to buy locally first but if prices get outrageous, it,s time to look elsewhere. Perhaps I,ll take the dollars I saved and buy some fish locally.