Resealing fish tanks

blainep

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most bathroom and kitchen type sealants have aniti mould and mildew agents in them. The same agents can be deadly to fish, even in minunute amounts. You don't have to do the whole glass surface with vinegar, but there is no harm in doing so either.

Just make sure once you have cleaned and prepared the bonding surfaces that you do not touch them and try not to have any dust, blowing dirt, etc. when you are about to bond pieces together. Use nitrile gloves as I have found some latex or vinyl gloves have reacted to certain sealants.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

Most bathroom and kitchen type sealants have aniti mould and mildew agents in them. The same agents can be deadly to fish, even in minunute amounts. You don't have to do the whole glass surface with vinegar, but there is no harm in doing so either.

Just make sure once you have cleaned and prepared the bonding surfaces that you do not touch them and try not to have any dust, blowing dirt, etc. when you are about to bond pieces together. Use nitrile gloves as I have found some latex or vinyl gloves have reacted to certain sealants.

Some of the glass has hard water deposits and dried up grunge, I figured dropping the whole glass in vinegar for a few hours should have it all clean and shiny.

OK, so I did a little research into another brand of silicone, we used to use it on alot of our tanks in the petshop. It is Dow-Corning brand. The type is 733 glass and metal adhesive sealant. I have attached both the data sheets and MSDS (material saftey data sheet) for clear only, to look at. Baisically, it is an acetic based silicone. I called Gregg distributors, which are located in Red Deer, Edmonton and Calgary (there are more locations throughout Alberta) They stock it at a price of $5.79/tube. Just another alternative if you are having trouble finding any other brands.

Well, looks like I started something big here. From the research I and everyone else have done, it looks like GE Silicone 1 should be fine for resealing aquariums.

I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'll be assembleing the tanks in the next day or two.

If it all comes crashing apart, I'll be sure to update !

• 2 weeks later...
Well, everthing has been sealed up, left to cure for a few days, and leak tested. All looks ok, apears to be holding. From here, only time will tell.

Blaine

Awesome Blaine. Always nice to know there's tried & true alternatives. I fail to see why the aquarium silicone is so expensive - its just renamed to appeal I guess.

Mine always goes hard. I keep the top on, I've tried keeping it in an air-tight container, but every time I go to use it a second time (which admittedly isn't on a regular basis), its hard. Drives me nuts. :rolleyes:

Hi Melody, great to see you surfing around this side of the mountains.(FYI The Snails are doing great !)

I suppose if one was to search around enough industrial suppliers, you would find 'aquarium safe' silicone sealer for a reasonable price. But for smaller tanks the GE silicone 1 or similar product appears to work just fine. As long as it has no anti fungal agents in it.

If I was resealing a larger tank, I think I would take the time to find and use true 'aquarium sealant' . I'm resealing 15 and 20 gallon tanks, still heavy when full, but nothing compared to a 50 or 100 gallon tank.

FYI for anyone resealing tanks or working with raw silicone - Use only in a very well ventilated area. I work everyday in an enviroment full of various fumes/chemicals and this stuff had me choking and eyes watering !

With a little work, I now have 21 drilled tanks ready to set up. ( When does a hobby become an addiction ?)

Blaine

Glad to hear that the snails are sliming happily for you. I'll be getting a birth announcement in no time! I get those for most of the snails and fish I distribute and I love it. :smokey:

I get my aquarium safe silicone at Petsmart, and its outrageously priced. I only use it here and there to make caves or decorations, weight wood or plastic plants, etc, so its no big, but still ... :cry: .

Is there a date for the fishroom opening? Should I bring snail treats & fish-shaped jello? Will we drink like fish? Shall I buy a new outfit? Go on a diet and then buy a new outfit? :w00t: I suppose all of the answers will be on the Little Mermaid invitations. :rolleyes:

Quote (Mine always goes hard. I keep the top on, I've tried keeping it in an air-tight container, but every time I go to use it a second time (which admittedly isn't on a regular basis), its hard. Drives me nuts) Quote

A trick that has worked for me is to throw the cap away and insert a screw into the nozzle, tightly. The caps always seem to let air by allowing the remaining silicone to cure.