Veil Tail Betta

Fish_Frenzy

Hi all. I need some advice...again.

I recently was given a Veil tail betta that was living in horrible conditions.

The girl that gave him to me, when asked about his care told me she fed him once or twice a week and changed his bowl water once every month or two! She said she couldn't be bothered with him any more so gave him to me knowing I have quite a few bettas already.

When I got the poor fella he was undernourished for sure and his "bowl" was so stinky the smell made me gag. I was surprised he was still alive!

I started by giving him a 50% water change ( I didn't want to shock him by a full water change) right away and gradually over the next few days he had a 100% water change and some good food (NLS) also gradually given as she was giving him goldfish flakes :wacko:

Now to the question...he is now eating well, clean water, and has put on some weight but the top part of his tail looks kinda "melted". I assume this was due to his neglect and filthy water. He is active now (when I got him he just laid on the bottom of his bowl) and much happier...just wondering if his tail will improve? I also add a few drops of betta remedy to his bowl when performing water changes and a bit of almond leaf.

Sorry about the long post!

Tammy

His tail will likely recover, tho it probably won't ever be perfect.

Good on you, Tammy for saving his life! :thumbs:

If its black, its healing ammonia burn. If its white, its probably fungal. If it has red streaks, its probably bacterial finrot.

Fins will usually recover with some TLC, but I'd keep the conditions extra clean until they do. They may not return to their former glory as mentioned above, but they'll be healthy. A bit of aquarium salt will speed things along and keep the bateria levels down, but if he doesn't seem to be suffering I'd stick to just keeping things clean.

Lucky fishie! :D Nice work Tammy.

Just to clarify on one thing. The type of fungal infection that I am reffering to does not show any white slime or fuzz at first. The fins almost look like they are sticking and curling up together to give that 'melted' look on fins. I am not saying for sure that it is a fungal infection, but I have seen this on hundreds of male Betta splendins. They are suseptable to this because of the long, ornamental fins have poor circulation in them and in turn makes infections, either bacterial or fungal, easy to establish themselves. It is problematic especialy in small containers.

Just to clarify on one thing. The type of fungal infection that I am reffering to does not show any white slime or fuzz at first. The fins almost look like they are sticking and curling up together to give that 'melted' look on fins. I am not saying for sure that it is a fungal infection, but I have seen this on hundreds of male Betta splendins. They are suseptable to this because of the long, ornamental fins have poor circulation in them and in turn makes infections, either bacterial or fungal, easy to establish themselves. It is problematic especialy in small containers.

Pfffttt! Like hundreds of Bettas leaves you knowlegable....lol....seriously though, I should specify that my finnage experience is largely with other longfin species/varieties. I only keep female Bettas, so I'm sure you'll do far better for listening to the above gentlemen first. :D