festae freaking out

cichlidkid

okay, my favorite fish, the male festae has been freaking out. I dont really know how to describe it other than freaking out (like getting poor color, spazing out and crashing into stuff then floating funny and then doing it again sometimes twitching and spiriling)

he has been doing this this summer and that led to him jumping out of the tank. for about a week after he was all messed up like this but then he was perfectly fine, it even looked like he was going to breed. But latly he has gone back into his freaking out phase. I have taken all rocks and driftwood out of my tank as well as the heater so he cant hurt himself anymore. nothing has changed, tank perameters are all perfect temp is 81 (bit high but it shouldnt be too bad)

any idea whats happening to my fish? any cure? please help! if he dies or gets seriously messed up so I halfto put him down I might give up on fish.

I think it may be caused by my light or something, I thought about covering up the tank for a few days. think that would help?

Edited by cichlidkid

okay, my favorite fish, the male festae has been freaking out. I dont really know how to describe it other than freaking out (like getting poor color, spazing out and crashing into stuff then floating funny and then doing it again sometimes twitching and spiriling)

he has been doing this this summer and that led to him jumping out of the tank. for about a week after he was all messed up like this but then he was perfectly fine, it even looked like he was going to breed. But latly he has gone back into his freaking out phase. I have taken all rocks and driftwood out of my tank as well as the heater so he cant hurt himself anymore. nothing has changed, tank perameters are all perfect temp is 81 (bit high but it shouldnt be too bad)

any idea whats happening to my fish? any cure? please help! if he dies or gets seriously messed up so I halfto put him down I might give up on fish.

I think it may be caused by my light or something, I thought about covering up the tank for a few days. think that would help?

Take a close look at his 'forehead' area, is there any little sores around his eyes? or any small 'craters' in the same area?

yea but they are big craters all over from crashing into stuff. maybe there used to be craters, what are you reffering to, hith?

Edited by cichlidkid

Well, I was first thinking hole in the head disease, but in this case, you seem to have a nervous specimen. Is there anything in the room that is swaying or floating, like a balloon, curtain, flag, or anything that moves alot that is about tank height or higher? He has boviously 'cracked his noodle' But what is it that is bringing him to this. Have you tested his water recently, if not, do so and please post results. Also, the holes on his forehead, do they look healed or is there still flesh that looks like it is sloughing off at the edges of the holes?

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

most of it is from this morning

im hoping he didnt break his skull, I was feeling it and it seems alright

I tested the water this morning and it is great, and it damn well should be. these fish ( the pair of them) get a 40% water change every week and have a fluval 404 and 2 ac 500's running on the tank (90g)

I dimmed the lights in the room and took one of the bulbs out of the balasts and he seems to be doing better

Edited by cichlidkid

How big is this Terror? and how big is your tank that houses him?

Edit: I see it is a 90g

Dimming the lights is a good idea but try and make the room darker than the tank. This will help prevent shadows from startling him, he needs calm, so you are on the right track.

EDIT: Make the tank darker than the room to avoid reflections from in the tank. Sorry, I on lunch and tring to do 10 things at a time.

he is pushing 9 inches, a male festae that big has considerable mass and strength, not good when it is going crazy

Well, we have ruled out water quality and most likely (although not completely discounted) disease. So this seems like you have a trigger happy Terror. When big fish freakout in small spaces a crash is inevitable. I might suggest to seriously sit back in the room and watch what is happening in and around the tank. He might even be seeng his reflection in the glass in the evening when the aquarium lights are on and maybe attacking his own reflection. As I am not there to wittness first hand, this is only speculation.

I would also like to add that most central and south american cichlids like darker tanks. If you look at their native habitat, it is usualy dark water that has been stained with tannic and hummic acids, lots of plants around, logs, and overhanging vegetation that creates shady tributaries.

he is dead, his head (except for around the gills) went all black and dead feeling and his eyes clouded over.

stupid fish

Sorry to hear that CK. It sucks loosing your favorite fish. Just a word of advice, if you suspect a fish has rammed it self headfirst, you may not want to feel it's head because if it does have a fractured skull, that can produce further trauma not to mention added stress at atime they do not need any more. I hope you get right back in the saddle again. Just remember everything that you can learn from in this experience and move on. :thumbs:

there is no way I caused any extra damage, I have damn sergon hands, very steady and besides I didnt push on anything just gently felt the very serface to see if there was any wierd pieces sticking out. I think he was out cold by then becuase he didnt so much as twitch

Edited by cichlidkid