Leaky UV Sterilizer

Melody

I have had it up to HERE with this *#$^$$&! UV Sterilizer! It has leaked since I set it up. Unfortunately for me, I didn't set it up for a couple of months so I couldn't take it back. I have tried sealing it with ... stuff, clamps, sealing tape, etc etc etc, and it still leaks.

Its a Pentair Lifegard 40W, which set me back almost $250:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_p...uct_ID=uv-pa40w

I am such a GIRL, which is frustrating alone :rolleyes: . I'm a disgrace to feminists everywhere, perfectly content to yell for a man when these things happen. Problem is, nobody comes running now....lol...so I cry instead - is that pathetic or what? But seriously though, I can't think of anything else to try, so any advice from you handy types would be appreciated.

Otherwise I'm going to put a plant on it and call it modern decor... EXPENSIVE modern decor.

Thanks!

Where is it exactly leaking? If it at a threaded connection, take a close look at it when it is leaking. Is there a crack in the female end of the connection? Or is it just leaking through some minute gap in the threads? If it truly in the threads of the connection, I am surprised that the teflon tape did not work. You are aware that teflon tape has to be wrapped in a certain direction or it will bunchup and not actualy thread into the female side of the connection. I am looking for a link that illustrates this. I'll post it when I find it. Now it is time for me to go to work (You can call me Mr. Brown)

Ok, the best way to explain this is to wrap the threads in the same direction you screw your fixture on. If you don't, the tape will bunch and tear and then voila! a leaky connection.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

Dear Mr. Brown,

The tape was ok, then I sealed it with gooey stuff after that didn't work - three times. Then I noticed that it looked like it might be leaking from ... the area above the hose connection, whatever that is. So I sealed the entire thing above it with the gooey stuff too. That looked like it might work, then it started leaking again.

Its driving me insane. Even moreso than I already was, which medically speaking, is impossible.

I could send it back to the manufacturer, but the thing is up to my... er... armpits in height, so it will cost a fortune, and I have to pay the shipping back too.

I thought that by buying one of the most expensive models on the market I'd be alright, but its been a pain since day one. Its huge, awkward and the directions were horrible even for someone who knows what they're doing.

I suppose I could get someone from the club in here to look at it, but I only know them from online and I have a blanket 'no internet guests' policy - over-protective Mother U C. :rolleyes: They may be able to look at it on the nieghbour's lawn after I throw it there though...

Thanks for your efforts :) .

It should be under waranty - as long as you haven't had it for over a year. I'd take it back to the place you bought it. They should honor the warranty on behalf of the manufacturer.

They should reimburse you for shipping. Demand that they do as most manufacturers, even reputable ones, will not offer to pay for shipping but will honour it when asked to do so. Anytime there is a warranty issue, they should either fix or replace the item at absolutly no charge to you. Read the warranty agreement and findout the particulars on that issue. I have made manufacturers pay for shipping, even when they state on the warranty that the customer is responsable for shipping.

According to the site it has to be sent to the plant (its a parts & labour thing) and the shipping to and back is the responsibility of the customer. I think I'll write directly to them. J&L has been less than helpful from the point of purchase, including delaying the delivery for a couple of months on 'backorder'.

Thanks guys :) .

I am unclear as to what could be leaking but here are a couple ideas. Check the crystal sleave for cracks, or chips and also put a bead of silicone around the rubber gasket.

Also the biggest item that I found to leak is the In/out plugs and the threading. Mine leaked from those forever so I eventualy put a bead of silicone around every part of the sterilzer. Just so the seal is tighter.

When I got desperate and sealed everything from the threads to the unit base, it did hold for a good five minutes, so you may be onto something there. I used Mono Ultra to seal it, but maybe I'll give aquarium silicone a whirl.

You'd think that making a unit that doesn't leak would be pretty basic criteria :( .

Thanks!

Just for future reference, I have allways bought UV sterilisers from spa and pool shops. The fittings are more industrial and I have never had an issue with leaking connections. The price is comparable and the replacement parts are more readily available, especially the UV tubes. They should be replaced every 6 to 9 months.

Thanks again - aquarium silicone is its last chance before I do something that accomplishes nothing but makes me feel a whooooole lot better :angry: . Honestly, $250 for an item based entirely on a water flow-through concept, and they can't make one that doesn't leak :rolleyes: . Maybe they need a couple of people to go after them for water damage.

• 1 month later...

I am finally remembering to update this thread. Since its a common problem, I wanted to let future searchers know that Rudy's silicone method worked like a charm. Its been going strong for almost a couple of months now and is bone dry.

Thanks again for taking the time to give a mechanically challenged female a hand :blush: .