Help

mikeyd1976

In one of my 10gallons I have some white geo systems fine substrate, but no matter how often i vacuum it it seems to be turning green. I have the exact same substrate in with my Africans and don't have this problem.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix it?

What fish are you keeping? With african cichlids, they are continuously digging and moving the substrate so there will be little opprotunity for algae to develop. In this 10g, is it near a window? is it a new set up? is it a mature setup? Are you running live plants? Check your nitrates and ammonia levels....what do they read? I can guarantee you that the phosphate levels are elevated.

Is all the food eaten within a 2 minute period, because if there is excess food left in the tank, then it can raise the N03 and NH3 and food can also raise the phosphates. Any dead, organic material can also contribute to the nutrients that this algal bloom is feeding off of.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

If you have any plants in there at all, I'd add a bit of Seachem's Excel. It does wonders for the plants and erradicates most algae. I was surprised when it stalled a Cyanobacteria (Blue-green algae) bloom!