Parasite Help!

fatpuffer

Two of my female apistos are experiencing some infestation or infection. I do not know what they are but currently treating with melafix. I am going to get some Jungle Lab Parasite Clear today and will feed some tetracycline infused fishfood (if needed). Please help i.d. this.

RSCN32830001Parasite1.jpg

RSCN32820001Parasite2.jpg

Js

Edited by fatpuffer

I is camallus - Triple Reds seem particularly susseptible. I ran into it a few times a while back when I was breeding them. Here's what I would try:

1) Salt - add about 1 tbs per 10 gal... maybe a bit more. QT them for a week or so (or 'til the worms are gone)

2) Thera+A NLS formula - it's supposed to help get rid of parasites. Had a Sevrum w. anchor worms, and after 4 days of salt & Thera+A, no more anchor worms

3) Medicate. I was just talking to Henry at NC about what to treat them w. Maybe give him a call/email/PM. If he's not too busy, he'll probably help you out. Or, of course there are probably plenty of references on the web.

Good luck getting rid of it!

I don't think I've ever contracted the parasite from back then. I've never been overly self-protective when working w. fish.

If you can contract it at all, I'd say don't drink the water from your aquarium, and avoid working in the tank w. open wounds.

This is an awesome write-up on treatment:

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4401

Edit: If you need to have some sent to you, send a note to Patrick {ptamkee 'at' hotmail.com}. He's a top-rated local seller with over 200 positive feedbacks and not one neutral or negative. He's an experienced shipper, a PhD (I think) in something fishy or other...lol... and one of my fave sellers & friends :-). He is the one mentioned in the article. Good luck!

Edited by Melody

Pm'ed Pat...thanks!

My pleasure :) . I wouldn't wish those worms on anyone. I haven't experienced them yet but man the horror stories I've heard.

About the only change I'd make in Colin's advice, for what its worth, is the feeding of bloodworms. Bloodworms can actually slow down digestion (which is why fish like Bettas shouldn't have too many). High iron content I suspect. They're not a problem for most fish if fed in moderation and the fresh ones are better than the freeze-dried in that respect. However, to move something through quicker you'd be better served by going with vegetation if the fish will eat it. Peas are absolutely awesome for that and most fish who will eat vegies love them. Softened (slightly cooked), pealed & quartered. They're also packed with nutrients and that can't hurt.

If that's not possible, flake high in Spirulina will do. Nutrafin makes one that has it as the first ingredient.

I'd be interested in hearing how it all goes, if you have time. Wishing you & the fishies a happy ending!

• 2 weeks later...