female festae on death's door

cichlidkid

she has the same symptoms as the male did, she feels hard, no slimecoat, weird head color. the only difference is she never when twitchy

except she never jumped out of the tank or cracked her head.

this blows

yea, has anyone heard of anything that does this?

my best guess it it is some kind of nurological desiese.

Discus exhibit similar "symptoms" when they are over their nitrate limit.

How have your water changes been? If you haven't already, I would do a 50% water change every second day for a week, this should bring down your nitrates to 10% of what they are now.

I would also try and make her feel more comfortable by closing the blinds in the room and limiting her light to under 8 hours a day.

If you really feel that it is parasitic, I would try a round of metro. This gets expensive in a big tank, but she may be worth it. My experience has been to use double the recommended dosage with adult fish.

I still have the fry for you if you want.

By the way, what kind of new mountain bike did you get? I just bought an '06 Specialized Enduro pro last week and it is begging to be ridden. We rode to 6500 feet yesterday and hit snow - it was epic!

Good luck with your fish, I am sure that you are considering the steps above, but I wanted to add my 0.02 cents.

Kevin

she died

thanks kevin,

my water change schedule is great, 1/3 every 5 days. I went down to petland the other day and spent about 20 minuts with the master test kit, nothing wrong at all.

Jay, what do you mean about my feeding habits? neither of my festaes had seen an african in months. but seriously, 5 hikari gold pellets twice a day. and the occasional cube of "cichlid snack" but I havent fed that in a while.

the wierd thing is both went from normal to on death's doorstep in a span of hours. I dont know what it is, there is no visable signs of anything, it just looks like someone smacked em over the head. And then bang, lifeless

could anyone give me any insight? I have lost my 2 favorite fish to this and it sucks.

Edited by cichlidkid

Sorry to hear she died. Was reading some info and Flower thorns they get a parisite and symtoms sound simular. you might want to check out and see if this may have been problem they say is a death sentence.

Sorry to hear that Keegan. :(

She was a outstanding example of what a female Festae should be.

I'am glad to see you still have your sense oh humour.

EG: Jay, what do you mean about my feeding habits? neither of my festaes had seen an african in months.

If you want any of my fish, just let me know and it's yours buddy. :beer: