Wild nitrite problem!

Aaron

well brown algae id kill the lights for a few days put a few extra plecos in there....nitrite id do a 40 % water change and wait a bit and check again. the "good bacteria" that breaks this stuff down might not be at full potentinal.....i suppose we need to know what kinda filtration and how long has it been running?

What kind of ferts are you using? I don't know of any aquarium ferts that use nitrite. If you've got something that's normally used for terrestrials, it could have ammonia (which converts to nitrite when oxidized).

What do you use to dechlorinate your water? If you use Prime, then do a 50%+ WC... oh wait - does Cgy use chloramine to treat the water? If not, do a big WC using whatever method you use to dechlorinate.

What kind of plants do you have? Floating? Stem? If not, get some of those (I'll send some floaters w. the shrimp) - they'll help w. the nitrites.

Brown algae? Spots/slime layer, or hair? If it's spots/slime, it's likely diatoms. What's your lighting schedule? How new are your bulbs? You may need to increase your lighting a bit (10-12 hrs/day is ideal for planted tanks), and make sure your T12 bulbs are newer than 6 months or your T8 bulbs newer than a year.

If it's a brown hair algae, then your ferts are out of whack. Are you adding CO2? If you want this to be a planted tank, it should be something to consider. If you're already adding CO2, add a bit more. If you're using DIY (or pressurized for that matter), bubble it into the intake of a powerhead that is turned off when your lights go out - that way, you don't add CO2 when it's not needed, and won't have pH problems or fish gasping.

HTH

I use prime, so I'll do a big water change.

Lighting is on a timer, 12 hours a day, and unfortunately, I dont think it's bright enough, which sucks cause I just spent $80 on these new bulbs! 2 X 6700 K each, 320 LUX a piece, on a 65 gallon tank, which by popular consensus on this forum is too little.

May have to upgrade to brighter bulbs asap, but not sure where to get anything any brighrter (and the size i use is 42" not 48" :(

I've been adding a little C02 with the homemade system, right into the power filter, which i cannot see is making a difference, adds about 2 - 4 bubbles a second, for a 65 gallon tank, too much, too little?