Feeding bettas

Vallisneria

WEll I just bought my first betta and was wondering about how much to feed it. I bought freeze dried blood worms and today he finally ate a NLS NLS pellet. My question is how much do i feed it. IS 1 1mm pellet a day good? 2 pellets? I'm trying to figure it out since this betta is going to be moving to my mom's grade 2 classroom and she will be in charge of feeding it. I dont' want her over feeding or making the poor fish starve.

Is there a good floating betta food? HE seems to want to eat the NLS but since it sinks pretty fast, he doesn't always have time to get to it before it hits the gravel.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on tankmates for this guy. He is in a 5g and I was thinking of maybe adding a zebra snail but i'm open to other suggestions.

I feed mine Thera A+ NLS and freeze dried bloodworms alternately. I give them 3 NLS pellets one day and a few bloodworms the next day and all are doing very well. I find their colors are alot brighter since giving them NLS. I have 2 very active Bettas that get a pellet or 2 extra a few times a week if they seem really hungry. Hope this helps!

I have had Bettas with alot of different fish. In a 5G, I had a Betta with 2 African Dwarf frogs and in a 10G, I had a betta with a few big neons(small ones they, ummm... snack on!) Currently, I have bettas in a few big tanks with angels, mixed tetras, loaches, cories...anything that doesn't nip fins. A small school of Harlequin raboras looks nice with a Betta too!

Tammy :D

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Just about anything that would comfortably fit in the tank would be a good choice. Maybe an Otto or 2. Cherry shrimp are just fast enough to stay away, or a few ghost or amano shrimp would be neat.

OK thanks guys

So a couple pellets a day should be ok. I"m just glad that today he started eating the NLS, this will make feeding a lot easier.

As for tankmates, I would love to put some shrimp in there but I'm haveing some pothos in the tank(roots in the tank, plant hanging out the back) and I was concerned the shrimp would climb out. DO you think this would be a problem?

I also like the idea of maybe a Dawrf frog. I think the kids might find that neat.

OK thanks guys

So a couple pellets a day should be ok. I"m just glad that today he started eating the NLS, this will make feeding a lot easier.

As for tankmates, I would love to put some shrimp in there but I'm haveing some pothos in the tank(roots in the tank, plant hanging out the back) and I was concerned the shrimp would climb out. DO you think this would be a problem?

I also like the idea of maybe a Dawrf frog. I think the kids might find that neat.

I have all kinds of plant roots growing out of a coupe of my tanks. Cherries don't try to escape. Don't know about Amano's tho... I don't imagine they would - not like crays, IME.

I feed mine 5 1mm pellets a day. I feed one at a time so they don't have much chance to fall to the botttom.

ditto

FYI Val, there will be an NLS 1mm semi-floating Betta pellet on the market in the very near future.

Sweet, keep me posted :D

I have all kinds of plant roots growing out of a coupe of my tanks. Cherries don't try to escape. Don't know about Amano's tho... I don't imagine they would - not like crays, IME.

I guess I could try a couple and see how it goes, at most i'd be out only a couple bucks.