Filling your tank with a python

Vallisneria

I was just wondering if anyone used their pythons to refill their tanks?

I have a python but i have found when i try to refill my tank using it that the fish start to "flash". I have also found that the water is full of gas and the tank will fill up with tiny tiny gas bubbles, causing it to look white and covers everything in bubbles. When i refill i get the temps matched and i add prime throughout the water adding process(i add enough for the tanks full volume).

SO does anyone else find their fish acting differently when they add water back using the python. I have only used the python to refill me tank a few times as i was concerned that it coudl be hurting the fish. i have returned to using 5g jugs and letting them sit a few minutes to let the prime work and let the bubbles from the water disapate.

How do you use your python?

Aquaplus is pretty much useless in Edmonton (they have chloramine), but yes, I fill all of my tanks via a python, and trickle the water conditioner in as I fill.

Val - the tiny bubbles won't hurt your fish, and the chance of getting 'gas bubble disease' via a water fill is pretty much zero. You won't see any problems until you exceed 100% saturation levels in a tank. The tiny bubbles you are seeing are due to the supersaturation of gases in tap water, from being pumped under pressure and/or cold water heating up to room temperature. It seems to be a lot worse in the winter months.

I perform 50% water changes every 5-6 days, and have performed water changes as large as 80% & never had any issues. The fish always get a bit worked up after a water change, usually the males go on a breeding frenzy, which can invlove some dominance flashing, but no signs of stress from any of the fish.

As long as the water parameters remain constant, and you use enough water conditioner to treat the entire tank volume (which you do), you will encounter no problems when using a python to refill your tank.

Edited by RD.

Why would using Aquaplus be useless? It neutralizes chloramine as well as chlorine.  Just have to use twice the amount.

It does no such thing. It simply breaks the chlorine/ammonia bond, and converts the chlorine to chloride. The ammonia is left behind at full strength, until your bio filters slowly utilize it. IOW each water change will be followed by an ammonia spike, which even at small doses, over a repeated period of time, will be harmful to your fish, especially if you keep them at a PH above 7.0. The higher the PH, the more deadly ammonia becomes.

Hagen states to use twice as much for chloramine treated water, due to the fact that it takes a higher amount of their conditioner to assure that the chlorine/ammonia is split, and the chlorine is neutralized. If you're going to use Aquaplus, you might as well just buy sodium thiosulfate in bulk, which will be a tiny fraction of the price.

For chloramine treated water, I recommend this product:

http://www.islandscallops.com/cloram-x.htm

It's the dry powder form of Amquel, and contains 100% sodium hydroxymethanesulfonate.

Here's a good review on some of the more popular water conditioners currently on the market.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm

BTW - I did want to mention that IMO Seachem Prime is every bit as good as ClorAm-X, the dry powder product is just much less expensive than Prime.

I've performed large water changes via my Python in tanks containing fry as young as 2 days old, and never had any problems when using Prime, or ClorAm-X.

The powder Victor had was only good for chlorine, not chloramine. As previously mentioned, sodium thiosulfate is dirt cheap if you buy it in bulk.

Sodium hydroxymethanesulfonate is more expensive, but will still save you a ton of $$$ compared to Prime. (if you have chloramine treated water)

That's why you won't find these products at the LFS. :hey:

Edited by RD.