java fern

maniac

I finally got some java fern for my tank and felt like a complete newbie at Riverfront today when i got it but that's another story. I got it home, put it in the tank and it looks great but is there something i need to do to get it attached to the drift wood or will it naturally attach? I couldn't really find out anything on my research, could you help me out?

Thanks

Chad

Some people use elastics, some use fishing line...guess it depends what ya have on hand at the time. I have just kind of ummm stuffed it into a hole in the wood a bit and it attached itself eventually.

Hope this helps.

Tammy

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

I use either elastic bands or cotton thread b/c they both break down eventually. Fishing line is there for life.

I agree, elastic bands allow for groth as well as break down, fishing line can cut into the roots should you forget about it and even though it does the same job, cutting fishing line can mean accidentally cutting roots. With elastic, try getting your plant on a horizontal then attach an elastic (not too tight>>) to each end of the hard stem. Later you can place the java any way you want but horizontally the roots tend to grow straight down. For best adhesion, Try it one day in a separate tank add water half way up the log. Score the log with a screwdriver or knife many times then lay the java on top out of the water, add some riccia or java moss along the top cover well with a good tight fitting lid. Twice a day mist the plant. Within a week even with low light the plants grab on tightly, turn log quarter turn every week and repeat with riccia and or java. When all 4 sides are done trim the java to length and submerge or even better, sell at an auction for $40.00 - $50.00. Plants sell well, logs sell well, logs with plants on them......Priceless.