tank problem

maniac

:boom: another one died. Okay a third ram has died the final out of the batch that i bought. What causes a ram or fish for that matter to go from looking healthy to dead in two days? Please, i've been testing my water and no harmful levels of anything was found. I did find that the water was a little hard so i started to mix r/o water in with the water changes to soften it up. Any ideas please, I'm sick of losing fish.

:boom: another one died. Okay a third ram has died the final out of the batch that i bought. What causes a ram or fish for that matter to go from looking healthy to dead in two days? Please, i've been testing my water and no harmful levels of anything was found. I did find that the water was a little hard so i started to mix r/o water in with the water changes to soften it up. Any ideas please, I'm sick of losing fish.

Sorry to hear about your loss. They can be a difficult fish to keep, I had the same thing happen when I bought my first rams. How long has your tank been set up? I found better luck in a well aged tank (set up for almost a year).

I have never had to mix ro water and have had success with just Calgary tap water. I have 2 tanks with Rams in them...In one tank I add aged water(overnight in a rubbermaid with heater and airstone) and the other tank just tap water with aqua plus and in both tanks the rams are doing great(even laying eggs). I keep mine quite warm too( 82 degrees F).

I also found if they are over crowded or feel unsafe, they will hide and dart around the tank. Alot of plants(live or fake) help. I would put no more than 2 rams(m&f) in a 20g with some dither fish( I have green eye rasboras) and lots of plants, driftwood and a few ornaments with hidey holes.

I hope this helps, I know it doesn't explain what happened to your little guys but just letting you know that it has happened to others too and this is what I found worked for me.

Tammy

So many people <i>start</i> with Rams; but, they end up dying, for the very reason that Tammy mentioned. New tanks, even though you test them all the time, just aren't stable enough. Don't tear down the tank, keep it going, and in a year or so, get your rams again. :)

Thanks guys. Sorry for just dumping, I'm not ready to give up on the breed yet but am going to wait to see what happens with my final ram before i do anything else. Once again i feel like i just dumped on the site and sorry for doing so.

Chad

No worries Maniac, we all feel that way once in a while. Listen to the advice and go from there!

Good luck buddy

I had a heck of a time keeping Clown Loaches at first and I wanted them so bad but now I have 7 and they are doing great.

Edited by Canadbis

• 2 weeks later...

I added 10 juvi rams that I recieved from Tuan (picked up on 8th) to my 72, so far they seem really happy. They've started to pick out "their"spots and are quite sprite and seem real well. I hope I don't start losing any, didn't realize they were so fragile. If you want more , talk to Tuan , he may have some left.

I'd suspect that Tuan's fish will do just fine, born and raised in Edm. H2O. If your 72 isn't over populated, which I doubt, if you've got 8 1" Rams in there, you don't have much to worry about... you have plants in there, too, right? They'll be fine, I'm sure. :)

Definately not overcrowded. I could put a wishlist together of fish I'd like to add for sure. It is planted and I'm trying to add a few more plants, doing devisions too. Some of the plants I had added simply melt and disappear. Of course the cripts do fine but so far the cobomba is either being devoured or just disappears. I have 2 very large pieces of wood and 3 medium to small ones so I think the best thing will be to add more cripts. I started a 2L co2 yesturday with the tube going into the filter intake, so I'll give it 2 weeks to see how things progress. I'll soon make some changes, maybe get everyone out and add some "dirt" then the gravel back in, and then the plants and fish. I think most of the other plants will do better that way. I am learning so much from everyone and having great successes that I am sssooooo loving this hobby.