large volume Air pumps

a1foxes

I am running probably 40 tanks now in my basement, and i use air in most of if

not all of them. I'm having a hard time finding 1 or 2 pumps that can take care

of everything, and there ain't no way i want to run 20 small ones, or even 10...

I use undergravel in most everything, from 10 gal to 55 gals, and of course 2

or more stacks to a tank. Thats a lot of air. I know my way around the everyday

small stuff that all hobbyists are familiar with, but commercial type applications,

I'm a little new to that grade of equipment so if anyone has any info I'd be happy

to hear it! Better yet, if I can find 1 pump to do most of it, I'd be even happier!

You can often find commercial air pumps on e-Bay. Be patient and keep your eyes open for a deal. You will have to plumb in a hard line around your tanks, and then insert the little connectors into pre-drilled holes. I'm sure you have seen similar set-ups and that is more than likely the application your wanting.

I recomend "The Pump" brand and at least a model 40. They have a good design and if you plan on expanding, then look for a model 80.

Here is a link to show you the specs are on these and what they retail. A good one to watch out for.

The Pump

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

With the number of tanks you have you will probably need a blower. They are worth a few hundred dollars but they produce a great deal of air volume and pressure and should be able to easily run a large number of air stones and air driven filters whether they be hobs, inside or undergravel. I don't think you will find any diaphram pumps (or piston pumps) that will handle the volume you need without going to a series of them.

"The pump" is a diaphragm pump but is super quiet, has more air volume than you'll probably ever need, a long record of dependability, and super long diaphragm life due to a proven design. I have an 80 myself. The diaphragm is 8 years old, it is the third one in 20 years of service. The filter is easy to maintain and change. You will not have mechanical failure with this pump any time soon. The only problem you will have is on how to vent enough air to prevent excessive back pressure.

Im actually also considering upgrading my air pump.

I like going to jehmco.com to see whats out there.

Here are some links fyi:

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/..._air_pumps.html

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/...ve_blowers.html

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/..._air_pumps.html

Now to find them in Canada would be nice!

HTH

Ebay is a good choice, I have a german model that is used in hospitals to keep stiffs breathing while waiting on transplant surgery, works like a damn and a heck of a deal. I am still considering getting a back-up from www.kensfish.com he has great prices, excellent shipping and killer prices. Almost blew My own head off with his pond pump, lol. I seldomly see a duty charge as long as I stick with 6-8 day shipping.