FX5

sailor

Aquarium Enthusiasts probably has 'em. I know they had the FX5 when they 1st came out. Not sure on the price, tho. Click their banner at the top of one of these pages.

Aquarium Enthusiasts probably has 'em. I know they had the FX5 when they 1st came out. Not sure on the price, tho. Click their banner at the top of one of these pages.

They do, and about $275, I believe.

E-Bay. 185 US for a buy it now plus shipping.

If your patient, I bet you could have one delivered for that cost.

Problem is that Hagen products purchased from the USA are not covered in Canada for warranty....and I doubt that you could have one shipped up to you for less than a total of $60 (shipping plus customs/brokerage)....its an expensive item (so taxes and customs costs), and a really large one to ship [surface parcel (6-8 weeks)would be at least $22-25]....and since the $185US is only about $25-$35 above cost, I can't imagine a seller willing to eat the shipping and make only $5-$10.

Not to mention that if it's damaged via shipping, you will most likely be SOL.

Not only that, but you can add on a min of $25-50 for brokerage fees from UPS when the item arrives at your doorstep.

Also, they don't seem to be very well versed in the packing department.

Shipped in flimsy mfg box, New but opened item & 1 piece looks replaced, ok sale
Recieved one word of communication / slapped UPS label on flimsy manfacturer box

I'm not trying to nit pic this seller, but having spent a wee bit of time on ebay over the past decade, I tend to take a close look at the fine print, and feedback, before I decide how good of a deal an item might be.

In this case, I would most definitely pass, even IF what Christian posted wasn't true, and in this case it is.

Edited by RD.

Nothing wrong with E-bay. I wasn't aware of warranty issues being honored in the country of sale only. But there are deals to be had, and it is the buyers responsability to make sure he does his homework when purchasing an item. I have had many items shipped as a gift, or at the very least use USPS instead of UPS to save on the customs and brokerage fees that shipping companies apply.

You could most definately find an FX5 going for a lot less than a buy it now at 180.

Shop it out. Still good deals to be had on E-bay.

I have had many items shipped as a gift,

Which is a federal crime if the shipper gets caught, so many are now refusing to do that.

or at the very least use USPS instead of UPS to save on the customs and brokerage fees that shipping companies apply.

That helps if the shipper will use USPS (and many that do will only use Global Priority, since regular mail has not tracking or appreciable insurance), but you still pay customs and taxes on declared value.

You could most definately find an FX5 going for a lot less than a buy it now at 180.

Perhaps in the US, but then no warranty....unlikely to find one in Canada for under $275 [Hagen recently got very cranky with a couple of retailers that were selling FX5s for $250 (about $10-$15 above wholesale cost), and cut them off from further wholesale purchases until they started selling for a better price].

Really, Aquarium Enthusiasts is your best bet....local (in Edmonton) so no shipping costs or delays, warranty-covered, and as good a price as you are going to get in Canada.

Which is a federal crime if the shipper gets caught, so many are now refusing to do that.

Very true, and only rank amateurs will place their business at risk by shipping retail merchandise as gifts.

Canada Customs & Revenue will also flag any business caught doing this, and inspect most future shipments which can cause serious shipping delays in any future items being exported by that company.

It also doesn't matter one iota if an item is shipped as a "gift", the only thing that matters is the value placed on the item if it's inspected by an agent from Canada Customs & Revenue. If they decide the value on that new filter is $350, you'll be paying 6% GST on that value, not the price that you paid via eBay.

BTW - this is one of the main reasons that eBay implemented the blocked country feature for sellers. Many US based sellers had been complaining for years about not wanting Canadians bidding on their items due to them (us) always wanting everything shipped as a gift. Funny, eh.

Edited by RD.