Adding a big pleco to my african tank

Vallisneria

I would like to here your guys opinions on if this would work or if its a bad idea.

Tonight I went and picked up a 8-9" pleco(common pleco I believe but fully grown)) along with some angelfish from these people that needed to find new homes for their fish. So the angelfish went into my planted tank but I have no clue what to do with this big pleco. They only tanks I have big enough for it are my 58g community planted and my 90g african. Right now I have it in a 10g but he looks way too cramped and I dont' want to add it to the planted tank as he would destroy the plants.

So my question is should I keep this guy and add him to my african tank or should I try and find him a new home? My african tank is pretty stocked at the moment and I dont' want to add him and have the tank get polluted. Here is the stock list for my 90g

- 1 red empress(5-6")

- 1 Pheno (4")

- 8 yellow labs

- 7 Ps. acei

- 1 bulldog pleco(2-3")

So would adding this pleco to my tank be a bad idea? Too overstocked? I"d like to hear your opinions.

Filtration, Val...what are you running on it?

Oops,

On this tank i'm running an AC500 and a AC300. I also do a 40-50% water change every 10days or so. Also I wouldnt' be against selling a couple Acei to make some room.

I doubt it is fully grown either. Most of them will get 14-20 inches

Actually it is full grown. Its about 15-17 years old, so i'm 100% sure its not getting bigger. They said when it was younger they had a smaller tank. So it must have gotten stunted.

But geez, Its only been in the 10g for a few hours and there is already a pretty good poop pile in the corner:P

Here is a crappy pic of him. Its the best I could get as he wasn't too fond of the flash and quickly swam into his cave.

pleco.jpg

Val, the last time I saw my pleco without a mark on him was the day I put him in the tank. They are total crap factories and with Africans they don't lead a very high quality life . It seems the bigger they get the bigger the target they are.

Thanks for all the replies.

My africans are pretty peaceful and leave the other pleco alone in the tank but I wouldn't want to be responsible for adding him and getting him injured or killed. These people gave me their fav. fish and I wouldn't want to hurt him.

I dont' think I"ll be adding him. HE is a poop factory and right now my african tank is doing great and I wouldnt' want to change that balance by adding a nitrate machine.

Val, that looks like a sailfin pleco, Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps, and if so reaches a size of about 18" with often larger specimens reported.

This fish is 15 years old. I"m pretty sure its not going to be growing anymore. I do think I under estimated his size though. He was stuck to the side of the 10g and pretty much reach from top to bottom. So he is closer to 10-11" then 8".

How can you tell the difference between a common and a sailfin?

Also anyone looking for a big pleco???

• 4 months later...

I have a common pleco in my 55 gal community African tank, and he's done well. He does produce a lot of waste though. Mine was added when I first setup my tank about 15 months ago and he was only about 2 inches then. He's now closer to 10 - 12 inches and doesn't get bothered by any of my cichlids. He does spend a good part of his time attached to the bottom of the rocks.

His Tank mates:

1 Firemouth

1 Blue Socalofi

1 Red Zebra

1 Nyerere Hap

1 Venustus

1 Powder Blue Cichlid

1 Red top Blue Cobalt

1 Jewel

Edited by whiterose