My Red Zebra's spawned again...

nevchewy

The female that i have with my Big Dominant male is about half the size. I just didn't think it could work, but when i got home from school she has the biggest mouthful out of any holding fish that i have ever seen!

This will be her first time holding and there is something strange about what i see.

I can see a mouthfull of eggs when i look into her mouth but from the bottom i can see what appears to be a black spot.

This could be one of 2 things... while spawning (given that this is her first time) did she pick up a black rock by mistake? could there be a rotton egg that would have turned black on her so quickly?

I'm left to guess as i have no clue...

has anyone had a similar experience?

nev

Nev... are these those bright Orange ones you had at the Fall auction last year? Man, those are going to be some beaut's! :thumbs:

This is only the second time in a 2 year span that they have spawned...

The male is very picky as i have a female that has been ready to hold almost monthy but he won't give her the time of day.

this will be a different female and i'm hoping that they are just as nice.

We'll see if she holds to term though as this was her first time.

nev

• 6 months later...

An update on the situation.

Since the first post the female has held twice. I just stripped her 5 days early as the past 2 times she has swallowed each time.

I have about 20 Red Zebra babies that are now 2 days old. They still have their egg sacs in place but i haven't lost any yet.

I'm keeping them in a small breeder tank with an air stone set with gentle bubbles. This seems to be keeping them as a group and so far so good!

Sorry Jods2518 but these were not from you. Jason is right as these are the bright bright orange zebras that i brought to a prevous auction and sold for $12 per fish on average. The male is super picky and has only spawned 4 times now in about 2 years.

I'll keep you all posted.

nev

Nev,

Congrats on the recent spawn!

I'd think that there's maybe some other reason why your fish aren't spawning all the time for you. I've never ever seen a male that's picky about spawning at all. Could be that having no other males to compete with makes him lazy (I've been told that this is why it's best to have multiple males when spawning Syno's) or something to do with other fish. My saulosi and P. nyereri were spawning probably 2-3 weeks after releasing their fry, and I've had this occur with many other Malawians when they get to spawning age/size (if only Tang featherfins were the same way!). My saulosi have completely stopped breeding now b/c of the 13 Syno. multipunctatus that have been spawning with them (just need to get another tank for the Syno's now!).

Best of luck with the fry!