Well I am just so excited

windeindoiel

I know this is pretty not amazing but I've never had cichlids before and I've never bred anything but guppies.

Anyways, my juli's had little juli's! Aww and they're so little and cute all swimming in and out of their cave. So this brings me to my questions, as this is the first time I've noticed them (they are like microscopic!) and they don't have any yolk sac or anything like that, what in the devil do I feed something so tiny? Also they live in a 44 gallon tank with their parents and 3 other juli's, and this tank is in a very inaccessible place, so do I have to like spot feed them or anything? Because that will be extremely difficult. Can I just dump some sort of food in the water?

Also if I leave them in there with their parents and tankmates, are some going to survive?

Umm I think that's all for now.

I am so excited by this.

I know this is pretty not amazing but I've never had cichlids before and I've never bred anything but guppies.

Anyways, my juli's had little juli's! Aww and they're so little and cute all swimming in and out of their cave. So this brings me to my questions, as this is the first time I've noticed them (they are like microscopic!) and they don't have any yolk sac or anything like that, what in the devil do I feed something so tiny? Also they live in a 44 gallon tank with their parents and 3 other juli's, and this tank is in a very inaccessible place, so do I have to like spot feed them or anything? Because that will be extremely difficult. Can I just dump some sort of food in the water?

Also if I leave them in there with their parents and tankmates, are some going to survive?

Umm I think that's all for now.

I am so excited by this.

Congradulations! It's awesome to see them grow up. I don't know that much about cichlids or fish in general (beginner enthusiast) but my convict cichlids had about 3 hundred babies, and if any other fish were in the tank with them they were well aware to stay away from them. Seriously the best parents ever! So I imagine it will be more of a territorial thing and they will balance it out themselves. Also you can pick up some fry food or just crush flakes into powder that'll work to feed the little guys. Hopefully that helps you out.

Edited by nicole

Also they live in a 44 gallon tank with their parents and 3 other juli's, and this tank is in a very inaccessible place, so do I have to like spot feed them or anything? Because that will be extremely difficult. Can I just dump some sort of food in the water?

Congrats on the fry! :thumbs:

For feeding fry I have found it best to use a pipette, suck up some fry food mixed with tank water(usually cyclops or BBS for tiny fry) and then I shoot the food close to where the fry are hiding. This way is better then just dumping a bunch of food into the tank because it uses less food, so it pollutes the tank less quickly and you can be sure the fry are finding the food.

Ofcourse you can just dump some food into the tank but you need to make sure your water stays clean and you will have to do more water changes because you'll be using more food.

If you are able to stick a hand into the water I'd suggest using the pipette idea. Keeps things cleaner.

I have never done anything special to feed my babies juli's.

The parents are awesome and they take great care for their babies.

DOnt worry about it they will get fed, and before you know it you will be like me and have to get them out because there are to many!!

Erin did you let my Julies have sex and make more? :rolleyes: I never ever did anything special for the ones I have raised mostly because they are too small. The babies kinda stick to the rocks and eat algae or little food particles and as far as other fish go I had 4 sets of adults in a 20 gal at the same time and I witnessed no predation of young. I have probably brought well over a hundred to adulthood. I am not sure how many I have now, but I have them share a 55 with a colony of demasonis. The action I can tell you is non-stop.