New Pictures

Go4Long

got the fish back from the auction, did a water change(so if you see stuff floating in some of the pics, that'd be why) moved the slate around and decided I should take some pics...so here goes:

1. These guys just won't stop hangin out

newfish1.jpg

2. My new Red Empress(thanks to the auction)

newfish2.jpg

3 & 4. The current dominant male of the tank, my electric blue(stupid NLS pellet got in the way on the first shot)

newfish3.jpg

newfish4.jpg

5. Just for fun, same fish a week and a half ago

newfish6.jpg

6 & 7. New melanochromis cyaneorhabdos

newfish5.jpg

newfish7.jpg

8. Picked this guy up from golds a while ago Pseudocrenilabrus Nicholsi he just wants to mate someone, doesn't even seem to care who

newfish8.jpg

9. Last but not least my O. Lithobates, he was coloring up quite a bit, but he doesn't appear to like the new red empress much, so he's faded a bit

newfish9.jpg

I really don't know what to expect out of that red empress...I would assume he'll be quite colorful right? I'm kind of new to this dominance thing, but I just can't see how any other fish in the tank could be the dominant male with him in there, he's litterally over triple every thing elses size

I really don't know what to expect out of that red empress...I would assume he'll be quite colorful right? I'm kind of new to this dominance thing, but I just can't see how any other fish in the tank could be the dominant male with him in there, he's litterally over triple every thing elses size

I'm debating currently if that is indeed a Protomelas taeniolatus, the genus is right but the body-shape and coloration disagree on the species.

I'm debating currently if that is indeed a Protomelas taeniolatus, the genus is right but the body-shape and coloration disagree on the species.

what are you thinking he might be?

IS your red empress showing spots on the side and at the base of the tail? Or is that just a faded line? Also is he that yellowy in person or is it due to the flash?

he doesn't seem to have any spots that I can see, he hides a lot so it's hard to tell for sure(I'm in a rush to get out the door to work at the moment), and no he's not as yellow as that picture appears, he is a little yellow though for sure. he was less yellow yesterday at the auction, but a 4 hour car trip home and a new home for him probably hasn't helped his mood much

what are you thinking he might be?

Well, I took a better look at that spot and have revised to say the genus is wrong too. It looks more like a Copadichromis borylei then anything. Yet even that is a bit off. Given the fact it was mislabeled, I’m tempted to just write it off as a Protomelas/Copadichromis hybrid. I definitely would not suggest breeding or selling this fish.

sorry for the not so great shots, I'm really just learning my new camera still, and it has a LOT of buttons...here's a couple more shots of him, I tried to turn the flash off and the shutter speed up so I could still get him...he still shows more red in pictures even without the flash, I can't figure that out :S and he's hangin out right under the spray bar for the filter hence the bubbles :P

newfish10.jpg

newfish11.jpg

Edited by Go4Long

No worries on the photo skills, mine aren't anything spectacular either. I just wanted to be certain that this wasn't simply a case of an off shot that was causing the fish to appear to be something that it's not.

Edited by RD.

Pics are a bit better . The spots don't appear as dominant but protomelas usually have a longer snout and darker lateral line. Let him settle in a bit and you may find you've gotten what you paid for . The spots and stripes kinda throw you off but it may be due to stress. He may be the biggest fish in the tank but those mbuna can be pretty nasty buggers.The dorsal and tail look protomelas and there seems to be a little more red in the last pics , though the quality isn't great. I may be a mokey's uncle after all.... time will tell. Keep us posted.

I got upset about him not being as listed and went out and bought a bicolor trio today...my tank is a little crowded at the moment, but I have a few fish headin out tomorrow, and some more on the weekend, so it should be back to a reasonable stocking level by sunday...hope everyone survives till then

newfish12.jpg

and with one of the females(and a taiwan reef being a cheeky bastard and gettin in there too)

newfish13.jpg