Channa bleheri

albert_dao

I think a lot were ordered on line as I have talked to a few on pfish who got some.

The word is that they die pretty easily for no apparent reason. Some say that they need to be kept in cooler water in a planted tank or they will die suddenly at some point. I will be interested to see who grows them out as they have caused some serious buzz on many boards as most Bleheri that are sold are actually Gachua.

Good score Albert and Dennis. Definately got Golds rep buzzing!!! :)

Gachua's are pretty distinct from bleheri's as far as I can tell. Christian was in our store recently and me and him are pretty much in agreement that these were the real deal. Damn Tim, did you get a chance to check em out?

I don't think any of the P-fish guys got any from us. We're only sending out 3. In towner's took the rest.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen C. orientalis alive before?

No question they are the real deal. There was a thread about it on pfish.

Yes I did check them out. I pissed and moaned for a while and then decided I didn't want the planted tank. Cool as hell Albert. Seeing them and having others buy them is good enough for me. My fish room will be done on Thursday so I will be a lot less chosey over tank space then.

My experiences with C.orientalis and bleheri is that they do not tolerate water with a GH above 10dGH. Almonds leaves or blackwater extract do help in acclimating. Snakeheads are now banned in ON.

Just as a note, WC fish coming out of India is a tricky thing as transportation from the collection site to port of export can be quite precarious for the fish, especially of they're from areas of pristine, fast flowing water. Rosaline Sharks (P. dennisoni) are pricey due to being coveted but also a 50% mortality from point of collection to port of export. On top of "changing hands" to the LFS, they've been to hell and back.

HTH

Wilson

• 4 weeks later...
I have a feeling that there will be some F1 bleheri (raised in AB) in Calgary before the new year.

Oh how right you are... just in time too :)

We just got some small F1 Channa Bleheri (Rainbow Snakehead) in at Pisces today, half have already been sold to staff (including myself)

They are about 2-3" long and $29.99 each

There were still 6 when I left at 5:30