South American puffers

RDFISHGUY

My wife always takes care of my fish when I'm out of town so I've decided to give her a tank of her own. She likes puffers of all things so I googled puffers and came up with these guys : Colomesus asellus. I'm going to put them in either a 33 or 55 gal. All depends on what you can keep with them. Most of the info I've found says these guys have to be kept as a species only or in groups in a 55 gal. Are there any other fish you can keep with these guys. I'd like to know if and what I could keep with these guys. Does anyone know where you can get them? Thanks

Edited by RDFISHGUY

Yup...they are one of the friendlier puffers but i would not trust a puff with fish you like. They can be kept with conspecifics. However, the biggest "cons" with this species is the fact that their teeth grows very fast and needs daily snails feeding (according to the 'experts' at pufferforum). Midgetwaiter suggested giving mealworms or something hard that they can grind their teeth against. Pufferpack feeds his puffers bloodworms on a slate so when they go for the worms, they get some of the slate as well and help keeps beak/teeth down.

Check out thepufferforum.com and check the "pufferpedia" for more info.

Js

Riverfront usually have them for about 18.99 but buy them half price on second sat or print off a coupon.

start breeding your snails or just go to Petland and take Kim's nuissance snails. Lanaea also breeds apple snails but they might be to big. The "newly hatched" snails may do though. I also buy shell on shrimps, mussels, clams, etc. as alternatives but if it does not work, i can help you with manually clipping them.

Js

I still have 3 of them in a 35 gal, with 5 Skunk Botias, they have gotten along with no issues for a couple years now. I have found that the addition of a flat piece of rough stone to use as a feeding rock

(I dump the food onto the rock and they wear their teeth down picking at their food) will reduce or even eliminate the need for home dentristry. Before I added the rock I was trimming teeth every 5-6 months, but since I stumbled onto the feeding rock I have not had to trim for 2 1/2 years so far.