20g & angel

Gadgets

I have an extra 20 gal tall 24x12x16 lying around and want to get it started. This is what I want to stock after cycling.

1 - Angel

6 - Cherry barbs

I hope this will work but most everything I have read says 20g is probably not enough for an angel. The only reason I am asking is because 15 yrs. ago when I knew nothing about fish I had an angel and three neons in the tank and it worked really well.

I do have other stocking plans if the majority says forget it but I really want the angel and 20g is my limit for the time being.

Thanks for the opinions.

Mike

If you start with a small angel, I don't see any problems with it. You'll likely want to upgrade to a 25-33 in about a year.

My 25 gal has housed an Angel for the last 3 mths with 6 Harlequin Rasporas, a male Betta, and a flying fox. The angel has grown from quarter size to well over toonie size and is a happy camper. I do 30% water changes once a week with gravel vacuum. My only difficulty in that tank is I cannot keep cories alive--and I believe that is due to my well water being too high in sodium, but all the rest of the fish do well--the Betta and the Raspboras have been living in this water a year with no trouble.

I have 7 Angels ranging in size from 1 1/2 to 3 " in diameter residing in a 36g tank that is 14.5" tall and they are quite healthy and happy, your 20g tall wil will be fine for one Angel. But like Wibber says the Barbs might be a questionable option.

Edited by Sam Chicklets