New Midas and HRPs

Kevin

I wanted to post in the S/A C/A Chiclid section as I don't think that we post enought here.

I wanted to post a pic of my new Yellow/White Midas from Jeff Rapps he is 7 inches and eating like a champ. I can't believe how the nuchal hump has grown and the color come out in the last week. His nick name for now is "Bucket", because that is all Petland had to package him in for the trip home. They had no bags big enough for him.

117_1789.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the 2 female festae of Keegan's that I am growing out. She is about 4 inches and is just starting to show good color.

117_1773.jpg

Finally, just a little news on the Honduran Red Points. I am currently Nuking the planted tank they are in because along with the Jeff Rapps/Petland fish came some really persistent ick and I can't heat and salt because of the plants... Anyway - after travelling accross the country, then getting nuked with drugs, they now have wigglers in the bottom of a pit. I don't expect this to batch to stick, but I hope I can bring HRPs to the auction in March. Any orders??? ;)

Thank you for your compliments, the midas is still a long way from being mature. For those of you who have kept midas, how big does he have the potential to be if he is 7 inches at that stage in his development? Does he have the potential to be a monster if give the prerequisites? (big tank, lots of food, lots of water changes) It looks like he has been given a good start, but I don't know enough about Midas to know,

Also - what should I feed him to keep a true yellow. Are Colorbits ok - they are his favourite food right now. He does not like NLS.

Canuckle, I would definitely go for some Excondido fry. Are they a long way from breeding?

Qattara: That flower horn is some kind of hybrid. I don't like the face on it, but it could be part Midas. I don't know with all of the hybrids they have these days.

Nandopsis and Skinless: How would you rate this midas so far? Is it honestly up to Jeff Rapps reputation? I am very impressed with the size and the health, but I am hoping the color still has a long way to go. I hear that the color will change and get better as they get older. Is this true in your experience. Or anyones?

TheGr8Blade: Thank you for the compliment - is it true you are running for President? Shaking hands and kissing midas - that is the way to win.

Please let me know if you can give me anymore info.

Kevin

If given premium conditions a male can grow up to 14"

As far as the coloring goes i would imagine i will take alittle time to get him back in premo shape.

Jeff has a reputation for a reason, and since it is one of his. You can bank on it that it is one of the best in North America.

And if he doesn't turn out the way you expect, you can bet i'll be waiting. :hey:

well, my midas is pushing 9", and yours is very comparable in appearance from the head to the pec fins already. nice and fat. the fins will really come in over the next couple of inches.

colorwise, only substrate seems to have any affect for the longest time now. other than the facial mask coming in well (soon for you).

again, really cool midas. gonna be a glassbanger

well, my midas is pushing 9", and yours is very comparable in appearance from the head to the pec fins already. nice and fat. the fins will really come in over the next couple of inches.

colorwise, only substrate seems to have any affect for the longest time now. other than the facial mask coming in well (soon for you).

again, really cool midas. gonna be a glassbanger

Thank you skinless - I really like the look of your fish - he looks very healthy. I think that your fish is older than mine because he is much more muscular. I hope that means that mine will continue to grow and will one day look as nice as yours. How old is your Midas and where did he come from? I am keeping my Midas over white sand - is that a good idea or would another substrate be better? He sure enjoys playing with the sand.

It took me a while to get here, but I really see the point in just keeping a small number of really nice fish and species only tanks. It is much more rewarding than the community aquarium where all of the fish get along, but no one species in very happy.

thanks kevin, but my midas doesn't have nearly the pedigree yours is bringing home.

mine is just a petsmart mutt lol. bought a juvie a couple septembers ago. figure he looked more citrinellum than rd so........midas it is. lol

rapps has sent you a midas that is ready to just explode with maturity.

length will slow considerably in a few more inches, but mass thickening - everywhere - is coming real soon.

keeping him solo, he'll be incredibly interactive. i'd start handfeeding/molestering him asap. very fun. mine let's me handle him no prob, until wc time. amazes friends, especially non-fish folk.

i hope my first housewarming gift is a bag of black gravel lol.

i've tried black sand, white sand, and black gravel (current setup is playsand) and it's my fav.

looks cooler spitting it, and he'll realize he can get your attention with it lol. plus, my midas appeared a deeper, darker orange in that setup - hardly any white in the scales at all.

enjoy. updated pics in a few months please.

she looks so much like her mom at that size :cry: