paludarium

sharon

Has anyone started a Paludarium?

I'm planning on starting one in the New Year. I am trying to figure out what might be the best equipment for one.

I would like it to be tall, not sure how tall yet, as I would like the plants to come up and possibly out of the tank. so a minimum of 24".

For width I was thinking about 24".To allow for a good amont of lant versus water.

For length , who knows.

I want a good mix of plants, submersed, emersed and general moisture loving plants.

I would probably put my endlers in it along with corys and or ottos.

So for questions.

Types of plants?

filtering options?

lighting?

heating?

substrate?

background to allow plants to adhere to?

reptile? not sure if I will, still deciding.

thanks Sharon

I would probably put my endlers in it along with corys and or ottos

I would put both in as they will keep things clean and are non-destructive. There are a number of plants that go through a submerged and a terrestrial stage and look quite different in both stages.

Thats the basic idea. I want to build up the back with plants, like a natural shelf with some rock and wood.

( a mini tropical cliffside probably using the return filter like a waterfall against the back wall). Big Als in Edmonton has one very similiar to what I am planning on doing.

I had one that housed Green Anoles and White Cloud Minnows. I had Java Fern growing in and out of the water, and ivies growing all over out of the water. Used a Fluval w. spraybar splashing against rocks to create a nice moist environment... I now wish I would have had newts instead of Anoles - but everyone was happy.