Getting rid of snails

williewonka

Hi..

Basically asking for input as to any safe methods to totally get rid of a snail infestation without damaging the bacteria in the filter. I've used bleach to clean tanks and to make sure it doesn't travel from tank to tank but i'm sure that this would kill any bacteria that was in the filter also. Is there any method that will remove the snails from the tank and filter without hurting the media?

And.. I know i'm going to get ppl telling me that the snails can be beneficial. I just don't like the looks of the little snails crawling around... if they were the big ones.. great.. but they're not.

thanks. Fred

Are you over feeding or is there lots of algae in the tank? YOu usually dont' get a large population of snaill unless there is an excess of food for them to eat.

If you are willing to add some fish to eat them loaches are great snail eaters. Clowns, zebras and yoyo loaches are all good choices and would take care of the problem in a couple days.

Other wise you can just keep the tank clean and remove/limit any food(fish food,dead organic matter etc.) also remove as many as you can as frequently as you can.

Setting a bait trap works well. Put a pice of zuchini or other veg on the gravel and remove it once the snails cover it. Then repeat untill the population is lowered.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Actually, the tanks will or can be empty. I was looking for something similar to bleach that might kill them off totally, but didn't want to have to have to cycle the tank again. I do have loaches and they are keeping them down, but not as far down as I would like. I am probably overfeeding, but tend to try and make sure they have enough.. will have to try cutting down. And no, the loaches aren't in with the piranha. That tank is one of the ones i've managed to keep clean.. (knock on wood..)

Fred

If the tanks are going to be emptied and cleaned they should be ok. Once they are dried out the snails/snail eggs will die.

You can always use bleach on the tanks if you wan to make extra sure. Just make sure you rinse well and let them dry(to evaporate the bleach). I bleach tanks all the time with no problems