Native Fish Tank

Slough Shark

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a cold water tank with a couple Northern Pike would be cool. How big do they get anyways.

Upwards to 5 feet in length but mot are under 4 feet.

I thik it would be cool to make a man made lake, kinda like the ones that they have in the newer developments, and keep tropical aquarum fish in there. I would love to go dive or snorkel in there and see all the fish we keep being more natural.

Brad

Good idea until it floods into a major river or lake, even through a small waterway, the alien fish in your pond can become a real hazard when given a chance to travel into a natural waterway.

I think a cold water tank with a couple Northern Pike would be cool. How big do they get anyways.

Maby just a school of yellow perch.

Brad

And you call yourself an albertan -05- JK JK LOL

The perch would also need a pretty monster aquarium, if kept in a school (they will thrive) they will require quite alot of space, also it is quite hard to keep perch alive in an aquarium.

I thik it would be cool to make a man made lake, kinda like the ones that they have in the newer developments, and keep tropical aquarum fish in there. I would love to go dive or snorkel in there and see all the fish we keep being more natural.

Brad

Good idea until it floods into a major river or lake, even through a small waterway, the alien fish in your pond can become a real hazard when given a chance to travel into a natural waterway.

Maby just a school of yellow perch.

Brad

And you call yourself an albertan -05- JK JK LOL

The perch would also need a pretty monster aquarium, if kept in a school (they will thrive) they will require quite alot of space, also it is quite hard to keep perch alive in an aquarium.

I thought it would be cool but you are right you have to keep it contaned.

I didn't know that perch would need that big of a tank. I thought that a 200g tank would work for a small maby 6 fish. I have never seen them larger then 6".

Brad

Pike are cool, but would need a huge aquarium, even for small (6"-12") specimens.

Burbot would be funky, but you would require a chiller to keep them alive.

I love burbot. They are the coolist fish. I've watched them while ice fishing in a fishing shack, and they are an awsome predator.

I didn't know that perch would need that big of a tank. I thought that a 200g tank would work for a small maby 6 fish. I have never seen them larger then 6".

I you are fishing you are not aloud to keep them this small, I think 8" is the mninmum size limit. I have caught plenty in the 1 foot size. Also as small as 3" when fishing.

and yes they are a schooling fish. If you find one in a lake there will be plenty more nearby.

Edited by Sam Chicklets

I you are fishing you are not aloud to keep them this small, I think 8" is the mninmum size limit. I have caught plenty in the 1 foot size. Also as small as 3" when fishing.

and yes they are a schooling fish. If you find one in a lake there will be plenty more nearby.

Size and numbers permitted depend on the body of water, most water bodies have no size limit on perch (I cannot think of any that do in the ES1 ot PP2 zones), although it is not too common to catch anything under 5" unless you are fishing specifically for them (like using a marmish through the ice).

here is a link on the cave & basin lake. cave & basin lake

Ah yes, Grant's old article.

Size and numbers permitted depend on the body of water, most water bodies have no size limit on perch (I cannot think of any that do in the ES1 ot PP2 zones), although it is not too common to catch anything under 5" unless you are fishing specifically for them (like using a marmish through the ice).

At Cow lake by Rocky Mountain House you can see that they are a schooling fish and you'd be lucky to find any in that lake above 6 inches. Trust me I've tried. I wish I could find them around a foot, Where are you fishing? Or do you want your fishing hole being invaded? :lol:

I would really love to keep burbot in an aquarium, however, as mentioned before they require a chiller, and can get quite large and I just don't have the accomodations fr that size, nor do i have the money. :(

Also, I have heard from my cousin, who works at the Provincial Museum, that the museum has not been able to keep burbot alive in their aquarium, they haven't been able to keep spottail shiners either. I think I remember hearing that they couldn't keep the yellow perch alive either. Too bad.

Pike are cool, but would need a huge aquarium, even for small (6"-12") specimens.

ive seen much bigger than 6" hell i caught a foot long bastard once let him go

ive seen much bigger than 6" hell i caught a foot long bastard once let him go

oops srry quoted the wrong person im :drunk:

I could find them around a foot, Where are you fishing? Or do you want your fishing hole being invaded?

I used to get them at Island lake north of the town of Smokey Lake but it has really dried up over the last 10 years. And a friends dad has a lake lot north of Bonneyville with lots of big Walleye and Perch, I just can't remember the name of the lake at the moment(must be halftimers setting in) LOL